Adafruit ItsyBitsy nRF52840 Express not pairing with mobile app

For Adafruit customers who seek help with microcontrollers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
dolsen_RPi

Re: Adafruit ItsyBitsy nRF52840 Express not pairing with mobile app

Post by dolsen_RPi »

Thank you for your response.

I had to put this down for a few days, but I have now gone through the process of (at least attempting to) burn the bootloader into each board, per your recommendation. It looks like it worked; although sometimes the Arduino IDE log just showed a message that the firmware was being programmed and did not mention anything to do with the bootloader being uploaded even though I specifically chose the option to burn the bootloader each time. I assume is because the bootloader in the tool must have the same checksum as the one on the board, but I could be mistaken.

At any rate, unfortunately, the result is the same. I still can't pair with the board. It's bizarre. I have purchased many of these boards in the past, and they have all worked fine up to now.

Any other ideas?

hathach

Re: Adafruit ItsyBitsy nRF52840 Express not pairing with mobile app

Post by hathach »

dolsen_RPi wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 5:04 pm Thank you for your response.

I had to put this down for a few days, but I have now gone through the process of (at least attempting to) burn the bootloader into each board, per your recommendation. It looks like it worked; although sometimes the Arduino IDE log just showed a message that the firmware was being programmed and did not mention anything to do with the bootloader being uploaded even though I specifically chose the option to burn the bootloader each time. I assume is because the bootloader in the tool must have the same checksum as the one on the board, but I could be mistaken.
Sorry for late response, you only need to click "Burn bootloader" once per board to upgrade bootloader. Afterwards, you could check the bootloader version in the ITSY840BOOT/INFO_UF2.TXT, it should show the version 0.6.2 as follows

Code: Select all

UF2 Bootloader 0.6.2 lib/nrfx (v2.0.0) lib/tinyusb (0.10.1-293-gaf8e5a90) lib/uf2 (remotes/origin/configupdate-9-gadbb8c7)
Model: Adafruit ItsyBitsy nRF52840 Express
Board-ID: nRF52840-ItsyBitsy-revA
SoftDevice: S140 version 6.1.1
Date: Sep 10 2021
dolsen_RPi wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 5:04 pm At any rate, unfortunately, the result is the same. I still can't pair with the board. It's bizarre. I have purchased many of these boards in the past, and they have all worked fine up to now.

Any other ideas?
I take another look at your compile log, look like you used an old set of libraries and IDE (1.8.13). Maybe try to upgrade IDE to 1.8.19 and upgrade all the libraries to their latest and give it a try again

Code: Select all

Using library Adafruit_TinyUSB_Arduino at version 1.7.0 in folder: C:\Users\dave_\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\adafruit\hardware\nrf52\1.3.0\libraries\Adafruit_TinyUSB_Arduino 
Using library Adafruit_MCP23017_Arduino_Library at version 2.1.0 in folder: C:\Users\dave_\Documents\Arduino\libraries\Adafruit_MCP23017_Arduino_Library 
Using library Adafruit_BusIO at version 1.11.3 in folder: C:\Users\dave_\Documents\Arduino\libraries\Adafruit_BusIO 
Using library Wire at version 1.0 in folder: C:\Users\dave_\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\adafruit\hardware\nrf52\1.3.0\libraries\Wire 
Using library SPI at version 1.0 in folder: C:\Users\dave_\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\adafruit\hardware\nrf52\1.3.0\libraries\SPI 
Using library Bluefruit52Lib at version 0.21.0 in folder: C:\Users\dave_\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\adafruit\hardware\nrf52\1.3.0\libraries\Bluefruit52Lib 
Using library Adafruit_BANNED at version 0.0.5 in folder: C:\Users\dave_\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\adafruit\hardware\nrf52\1.3.0\libraries\Adafruit_BANNED 
Using library Adafruit_LittleFS at version 0.11.0 in folder: C:\Users\dave_\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\adafruit\hardware\nrf52\1.3.0\libraries\Adafruit_LittleFS 
Using library InternalFileSytem at version 0.11.0 in folder: C:\Users\dave_\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\adafruit\hardware\nrf52\1.3.0\libraries\InternalFileSytem 
Using library Adafruit_DS3502 at version 1.0.1 in folder: C:\Users\dave_\Documents\Arduino\libraries\Adafruit_DS3502 

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Microcontrollers”