Rasberry Pi4 Dead on Arrival

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/
checkplus

Rasberry Pi4 Dead on Arrival

Post by checkplus »

Hi,

One of the Pi4Bs that you sent me has an SD card reader issue. I've tried a myriad of fixes online and used a wide variety of microsd cards with varying sizes (128gb, 64gb, 32gb) among two manufacturers (Sandisk and Samsung) along with both 32bit and 64 bit OSes installed and I'm still getting the same error. When I plug the Pi into the HDMI cable, the readout is attached. Both green and red lights appear. The power supply I'm using is the both the 5.1v official raspberry Pi PSU and the official raspberry pi poe+ hat.
Attachments
Screenshot 2022-12-21 174411.png
Screenshot 2022-12-21 174411.png (676 KiB) Viewed 147 times
Screenshot 2022-12-21 174429.png
Screenshot 2022-12-21 174429.png (536.26 KiB) Viewed 147 times
Screenshot 2022-12-21 174442.png
Screenshot 2022-12-21 174442.png (574.87 KiB) Viewed 147 times

bidrohini

Re: Rasberry Pi4 Dead on Arrival

Post by bidrohini »

Here are some suggestions that you can try: https://forums.raspberrypi.com/viewtopic.php?t=277580

checkplus

Post by checkplus »

I've tried everything there. It won't read any of my SD cards. Is there a way to force the SD card to be on non high speed mode?

adafruit_support_carter

Post by adafruit_support_carter »

How are you installing the OS images to the SD card?

checkplus

Post by checkplus »

adafruit_support_carter wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 2:45 pm How are you installing the OS images to the SD card?
I've tried both the balenaEtcher and the raspberry pi imager to install the OS. I've attempted to install both the 32 bit and 64 bit Pi OSes using both launchers across 3 different cards. I've also attempted to install via the different bootloaders (sd card, usb boot, and network boot) and none of them work. I own 3 pis and I've also attempted to use an SD card that is working in another RPI4B and the same error pops up. I know raspberry pis are in very short supply right now so I'm making every attempt and effort to fix this one rather than getting a refund.

adafruit_support_carter

This is out of the box behavior? Nothing was ever attached to the GPIO pins?

checkplus

Post by checkplus »

adafruit_support_carter wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 2:56 pm This is out of the box behavior? Nothing was ever attached to the GPIO pins?
Correct. The intention was to use this raspberry pi as a home assistant pi so nothing would be attached other than a power supply cable and ethernet.

adafruit_support_carter

The power supply I'm using is the both the 5.1v official raspberry Pi PSU and the official raspberry pi poe+ hat.
Just to try simplifying things as much as possible - have you tried without the PoE HAT attached?

checkplus

Post by checkplus »

adafruit_support_carter wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 5:14 pm
The power supply I'm using is the both the 5.1v official raspberry Pi PSU and the official raspberry pi poe+ hat.
Just to try simplifying things as much as possible - have you tried without the PoE HAT attached?
Yes. I've tried it with both with and without the POE hat.

adafruit_support_carter

Initial booting was done with the PoE HAT attached? The Pi was *not* tested standalone prior to PoE HAT usage?

We won't be able to replace this due to current Pi stock levels. At best, we can refund. So it's worth continuing to attempt to see if the Pi can be recovered somehow.

Is it not even showing the expected behavior with the SD card removed (and the PoE HAT removed)? As suggest from the Pi boot sticky:
https://forums.raspberrypi.com/viewtopi ... 1#p1485558
unplug everything from the Raspberry Pi 4, including the SD card, and then turn the power back on.
If the green LED blinks with a repeating four blink pattern then the bootloader is running correctly, and indicating that start.elf has not been found.

checkplus

Post by checkplus »

adafruit_support_carter wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 1:18 pm Initial booting was done with the PoE HAT attached? The Pi was *not* tested standalone prior to PoE HAT usage?

We won't be able to replace this due to current Pi stock levels. At best, we can refund. So it's worth continuing to attempt to see if the Pi can be recovered somehow.

Is it not even showing the expected behavior with the SD card removed (and the PoE HAT removed)? As suggest from the Pi boot sticky:
https://forums.raspberrypi.com/viewtopi ... 1#p1485558
unplug everything from the Raspberry Pi 4, including the SD card, and then turn the power back on.
If the green LED blinks with a repeating four blink pattern then the bootloader is running correctly, and indicating that start.elf has not been found.
Hi,

The initial boot was done without the PoE hat. I've plugged in the pi4 without the SD card and the green LED does not blink. It stays a solid green color.

adafruit_support_carter

OK, let's refund it. Send an email to [email protected] with a link to this thread and your order number and they can refund you for the Pi.

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/

Return to “Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories”