Adafruit Metro board not uploading code

Please tell us which board you are using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
robintwhite

Adafruit Metro board not uploading code

Post by robintwhite »

I purchased a Metro about a year or so ago and have been following the guide. I recently wanted to play with the board again however it seems that I cannot upload code. I get the error
Sketch uses 11112 bytes (2%) of program storage space. Maximum is 507904 bytes.
No device found on COM8
Failed uploading: uploading error: exit status 1

I am running Windows 10
I know my cable works, because A) it is the cable that came with the board. and B) I tested it on my XBox controller. I also tested Arduino Mega and Elegoo Uno and both worked fine to upload a simple blink program via the correct ports.
I followed the setup steps again in the Metro experimenters guide. On my device manager it says Silicon Labs CP210x USB to UART Bridge (COM8)
In my Arduino IDE it says my Adafrit Metro M4 (cannot find another non-M4 version, are these just out of date now, I don't know what M# I have) is on COM8. I can also get board info that has VID and PID.
I downloaded the latest Adafruit libraries (2020) I made sure the Metro was checked during install. I have restarted my computer and have even tried other cables. I'm pretty much troubleshooted everything I can think of. I even installed the latest version of the Arduino IDE.
I have looked online and cant find a good reason that I have not tried. I know this board used to work when I first bought it. I also checked the bootloader and it blink 3 times rapidly. The board just has one green light when plugged into the computer by the USB.
Any help would be greatly appreciated so I don't waste any more time on this.

robintwhite

Re: Adafruit Metro board not uploading code

Post by robintwhite »

Holy... OK so anyone else run into this issue, use Arduino Uno, not Metro M4 when uploading from Arduino IDE

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

Metro is an Ardino Footprint board and the original processor was a Uno bootloader, not a newer M4 Use the compiler for the correct board and you should have good luck. Enjoy the board.

MonsignorBart

Post by MonsignorBart »

You should pick the board that suits best. Otherwise it may ignore the fact you have more memory, possibly be fully compatible with your cpu, and have a more stable build (or more features!).

It's usually labelled underneath, there's 4 flavors I'm aware of the Metro (that's not a feather). If on the bottom you only see Metro then your board is the
Adafruit->Boards->Adafruit Metro

If you see Metro Express then your board is
Adafruit->SAMD (32-bits ARM Cortex-M0+ and Cortex M4) Boards->Adafruit Metro M0 Express

If you see Metro M4 then your board drivers are
Adafruit->SAMD (32-bits ARM Cortex-M0+ and Cortex M4) Boards->Adafruit Metro M4 (SAMD51)

If you see Metro M4 Airlift Lite your board drivers are
Adafruit->SAMD (32-bits ARM Cortex-M0+ and Cortex M4) Boards->Adafruit Metro M4 Airlift Lite (SAMD51)

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Metro, Metro Express, and Grand Central Boards”