Pi Pico H Possibly DOA

For Adafruit customers who seek help with microcontrollers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
sherbs

Pi Pico H Possibly DOA

Post by sherbs »

I just received my pi pico in the mail, pulled it out, pressed it into the breadboard, installed Thonny on my mac and tried to hook it up. I held down the BOOTSEL button and plugged it in, but my computer wouldn't recognize it, nor would Thonny. I read up on it and found that some micro-usb cables are power only, not power and data, so I tried 2 more cables that I know were for sure data cables, but still nothing. Since I had this on a mac, I wondered if it was just my mac, so I tried everything again on my wife's windows machine and it still wouldn't recognize it. I read some others posts where rebooting the computer worked, so I tried that on both machines, and still nothing. Am I missing trying something?
Pi Pico.jpg
Pi Pico.jpg (520.52 KiB) Viewed 113 times

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Pi Pico H Possibly DOA

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Try putting a cheap/old USB-2 hub between the computer and the Pico.

The high-speed USB enumeration process (which is standard on USB-3 ports) has a burst of 480MHz data that can mess with microcontrollers. A USB-2 hub will block those signals and give the microcontroller a more comfortable signal environment.

sherbs

Post by sherbs »

I checked my specs, and everything I had tried were USB-3 ports up through now. I looked up the specs on all the laptops we have at home and one of the older ones had USB-2 ports on it, so I tried it on that laptop with the same results. It is still not being recognized at all. I'm feeling like this board may just be defective. Anything else I can try?

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

That was the only other test, thanks.

Send a note containing a link to this page and your order number to [email protected]. The folks there will get you a replacement.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Microcontrollers”