SGP30 and Funhouse

adafruit.io wippersnapper BETA support, discussions, and more!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
If you're posting code, please make sure your code does not include your Adafruit IO Active Key or WiFi network credentials.
gbinco

SGP30 and Funhouse

Post by gbinco »

Hi,
This is my first project and I'm finding myself quite overwhelmed and confused.
I was able to get wippersnapper set up and the Funhouse is connected to IO. I've spent the last 2 days bouncing around adafruit documentation trying to figure out how to move forward. I would like to use the IO platform but see that SGP30 isn't yet supported. What would be the most beginner friendly way of starting to display the data from all of the available sensors on the Funhouse screen and monitor within IO?
Thanks!

mikeysklar

Re: SGP30 and Funhouse

Post by mikeysklar »

WipperSnapper is definitely the beginner friendly way to feed in all your Funhouse sensors. If you really want to use CO2 the SCD-30 is supported by WipperSnapper.

https://www.adafruit.com/product/4867

There is also a guide for adding in a new i2c component.

https://learn.adafruit.com/how-to-add-a ... persnapper

gbinco

Post by gbinco »

Thank you, I made some progress but am stuck again.

It looks the addition of SGP30 to WipperSnapper is pending, but I don't understand why. How long could I expect it to take to get added?

Also, I'm trying to use Arduino IDE to send a sketch to the Funhouse but keep getting port doesn't exist errors. The Funhouse is plugged into my laptop which shows the Funhouse as drive WIPPER. I can see that the Funhouse is also connected to IO.

Can you please suggest what my next steps are? Sorry, I am apparently way out of my depth.

brubell
Learn User Page

Post by brubell »

We do not currently support the SGP30 in WipperSnapper as there haven't been any requests (past my own) to support it. Eventually, we'll support all sensors sold by adafruit and beyond.

There is an active component request for the SGP30 on this page: https://github.com/adafruit/Wippersnapp ... issues/102. Please comment on there as it lets us know what to prioritize. I have no ETA for when it will be supported, this is driven by an open-source process. If I had to guess - likely next month when I sweep through that repository again. When this happens, we make a blog post, and the Learn page for the SGP30 will also get updated.
Can you please suggest what my next steps are? Sorry, I am apparently way out of my depth.
Are you comfortable programming in Arduino or CircuitPython?

gbinco

Post by gbinco »

Thank you both so much for the information. I really appreciate the guidance.
No, unfortunately I have no idea what I'm doing and this is my first programming of any kind since some basic html 20 years ago. While I wait for the SGP30 to be added to WipperSnapper I will try to piece together what I want to do using other project guides.

brubell
Learn User Page

Post by brubell »

Please do comment on the link I added above, it will let me know to prioritize the SGP30 because someone (you) wants it :)

It will be some cobbling together 'til we get this compatible with the WipperSnapper firmware. Until then, this guide https://learn.adafruit.com/funhouse-fum ... r/overview uses the FunHouse, CircuitPython, and an SGP30. It even sends data to Adafruit IO. While it includes a fan controller, you should be able to remove it from the code.

Forum rules
If you're posting code, please make sure your code does not include your Adafruit IO Active Key or WiFi network credentials.

Return to “Adafruit IO Wippersnapper Beta”