Stepper Driver

Post here about your Arduino projects, get help - for Adafruit customers!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
forum_questions_1

Stepper Driver

Post by forum_questions_1 »

Hi,

I have a V2 Featherwing connected to a TMC-2226 BOB on a breadboard. The driver drives a 200 step (12v, 350mA/phase) stepper motor https://www.adafruit.com/product/324.

The TMC-2226 uses a step and direction pin. It also has two microstep pins MS1 and MS2, which can be connected to GND and VCC_IO in different combinations to get different microstepping levels. However, the hardward-based selection of microsteps is limited to 4 microstepping options. The driver can do more, but I am having trouble finding any examples on how to do it. For example, I would like to see if I can signal the driver to do fullstep or 1/2 step. I've read the Trinamic documents on it, but a lot of it is beyond my level. I'll ask Trinamic tech support as well, but I thought I'd ask you guys first. Even if you have any leads for things I might search online, I'd appreciate any ideas. I am using Arduino IDE for it.

Thanks!

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Stepper Driver

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

I don't have any first-hand experience with configuring the advanced stepping options. But it involves communicating with the chip via the UART interface to set up the internal configuration registers.

Other than direct assistance from Trinamic, you might also try the RepRap forum, since a lot of the RepRap folks are using these drivers.

forum_questions_1

Ok, thanks Bill. I'll check that out.

forum_questions_1

Hi Bill,
Just an update - I finally got this working and was able to access the settings via hardware serial. There are a lot of settings available through this.

Also, thank you for the info you had in this recent post viewtopic.php?p=955293&hilit=ohms#p955293. I thought it was a good explanation about stepper motor power.

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Good to hear you got it working. And thanks for sharing your results.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino”