Problems with 7" Display on boot

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/
vintalvalentin

Problems with 7" Display on boot

Post by vintalvalentin »

Heya!

I have bought the HDMI 7" 800x480 Display with Touchscreen (https://www.adafruit.com/product/2407) from adafruit and I'm having a problem I can't seem to fix. I'm using it with a Raspberry Pi 4B, currently it's plugged into HDMI-0.

I set it up just like the documentary states, I put this code in /boot/config.txt:

Code: Select all

# uncomment if hdmi display is not detected and composite is being output
hdmi_force_hotplug=1

# uncomment to force a specific HDMI mode (here we are forcing 800x480!)
hdmi_group=2
hdmi_mode=87
hdmi_cvt=800 480 60 6 0 0 0
hdmi_drive=1
I also set max_usb_current to 1 since I'm powering it directly via the Pi:
max_usb_current=1

Using this code first didn't really change the resolution though, neither on nor after boot, so I searched the web for more clues. I found some reddit-posts stating that using the fkms-driver instead of the kms seemed to help, so I changed this as well. Furthermore, I edited /boot/cmdline.txt to force a specific resolution by adding video=800x480M@60D, while simultaneously commenting the hdmi_group/mode/cvt/drive-lines out again.

With these settings, the Screen at least had the right resolution AFTER boot.

On boot, I get weird colored vertical stripes on the right side of the monitor, like it's using a different resolution on startup. AFTER the boot, it works just fine though. I figured that this isn't normal behaviour and at this point I'm glad it works after all, but the glitchy look on startup still rubs me the wrong way - So here I am, asking for help or pushes in the right direction. If you need more info, please tell me what I should paste here, I'm really out of ideas.

I add a photo I found on some reddit-posts that has the exact same appearance as my screen does.
Scm57.jpg
Scm57.jpg (152.88 KiB) Viewed 54 times
Using any other monitor or TV works fine with the pi, so I guess it's due to a problem with the unusual/"non-standard" resolution of 800x480. I also tried the other HDMI-Port, used different hdmi-cables and adapters, powered the monitor externally (which changed the weird vertical stripes to a black area, but still the resolution was wrong on boot) and the problem still remains - Which only leaves me with the idea that it's a software/driver-problem I can't figure out.

To clarify, what I mean with "on boot": The splashscreen and the "Press Shift for Recovery-Mode" are not in the right resolution, resulting in the big border on the right side. After that it seems to load the right one.

Edit:
I now set the monitor up like stated in the documentary again - so normal kms driver, hdmi_mode/group/drive/etc like in the doc. It works after boot and the right resolution is set, but still I get the splashscreen and "Press Shift for Recovery Mode"-Screen with the big black area on the right border.

I hope someone can help me out
Thanks in advance!

vintalvalentin

Re: Problems with 7" Display on boot

Post by vintalvalentin »

Okay, I found out what the problem was because I accidentally killed my OS in the process (there's good in every bad :D):

Since I couldn't get the splash screen in the right resolution on boot I disabled my splash-screen in the config.txt and wondered, why I still got the rainbow splash-screen on boot. Turns out, if you have NOOBS installed, it comes with a separate config on the recovery-partition. When I tried to mount to that partition to change the config, I somehow messed up and couldn't boot anymore - So I started from scratch with a fresh install without NOOBS and voila: Everything worked fine after setting up the monitor! Resolution was correct from the start. :)

You can close this thread now!

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/

Return to “Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories”