Feather M0 not being recognized- read multiple forums and still unsuccessful

Please tell us which board you are using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
richardsonpj

Feather M0 not being recognized- read multiple forums and still unsuccessful

Post by richardsonpj »

Please help!
I had successfully uploaded and ran several sketches on a newly purchased feather M0 USB adalogger ATSAMD21G10 (the '10 ' could be an '18'). One day it got the “Device not detected” in 64 bit Windows 10 Education 64 version 20H2 build 19042.2486.
Here are the diagnostic steps i have taken after reading multiple forums. I am an Arduino neophyte (but not a beginner at code) and need to get this running for some research
-- tried 4 different cables.
-- tried a different Feather M0 (with combinations of the cables)
-- tried with both the system's USB 3.0 and through an old USB 2.0 (or maybe even 1.0) hub with the cable/Feather combinations
-- After multiple tries, i now get a USB serial device show up and then disappear shortly thereafter in device manager without any device notifications on the user interface: Hopefully a screenshot is attached below
Screenshot 2023-01-17 113128.png
Screenshot 2023-01-17 113128.png (20.07 KiB) Viewed 58 times

-- after resetting the Feather using the button, the red light pulses once and stops. No other lights turn on.

Other unsuccessful things I have tried include (in order of trying them):
-- Per https://forum.arduino.cc/t/com-port-not ... /695954/11, I ran \ArduinoData\packages\adafruit\hardware\samd\1.7.11\post_install.bat as admin
-- Per https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-fea ... shooting-2, I verified there were no adafruit drivers per Win 10 info and tried running “Uwe Sieber's Device Cleanup Tool”, deleting all adafruit and feather devices
-- Per viewtopic.php?f=8&t=136002, I double clicked the feather reset and was asked to install featherboot, which I approved.

adafruit_support_carter

Re: Feather M0 not being recognized- read multiple forums and still unsuccessful

Post by adafruit_support_carter »

-- tried a different Feather M0 (with combinations of the cables)
Does the other Feather M0 work as expected?

richardsonpj

Re: Feather M0 not being recognized- read multiple forums and still unsuccessful

Post by richardsonpj »

Both Feathers act the same with the different cable and USB configurations

adafruit_support_carter

You mention being able to successfully upload sketches before. So it sounds like you're using the Arduino IDE, and had previous success. Try this:
https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-fea ... aq-2704880

richardsonpj

Post by richardsonpj »

Dear Adafruit support Center;

Thank you, you nailed it! One more question, please.
I think what happened is the upload locked up (no info for many seconds) because the existing sketch had a 4 second sleep after each IO check (a couple hundred milliseconds) and so disconnected the Arduino as described in the forum you suggested.
Is there a recommendation on how i can avoid this in the future? The sketch is collecting counter data from a mouse wheel and to conserve battery it goes to sleep and reads an external counter and photocell. I plan to increase the counter so it can sleep longer (and hopefully even use the counter as an interrupt to wake it up).
Thank you again!

richardsonpj

Post by richardsonpj »

I think i found the answer-- pressing the reset button twice stops the sketch and puts it in bootloader mode so the sketch will not run. It sounds like that needs to be part of my sketch upload process.

Thanks again for the help. I couldn't have found this information without your help. There is so much to learn with these amazing little buggers.

adafruit_support_carter

Ok, that's another way of achieving the same thing - as a fix. But that shouldn't be required every time a sketch is uploaded.

If it gets in that state, it typically means the uploaded sketch is doing something weird that is preventing the board from being reset for a new sketch upload. Try uploading a basic Blink example. Then change the blink rate and upload again. If that requires special manual resetting, then it might be something else.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Feather - Adafruit's lightweight platform”