Product ID: 2992 not recognized by Pi0W latest bullseye

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/
adapier

Product ID: 2992 not recognized by Pi0W latest bullseye

Post by adapier »

On January 2, 2023 I purchased Product ID: 2992 (order# 9400111206207920836946) because the product description says: "Add some more USB and Ethernet capability to your Raspberry Pi Zero ...".

Booting with a stock lite image of Bullseye (Linux 5.15.61) installed by the Raspberry Pi imager_1.7.3.exe tool, the Ethernet adapter is not recognized in my Rasperry Pi Zero W (only the onboard wireless adapter is recognized in ifconfg -a). The adapter is plugged into the microUSB port closest to the HDMI port. The USB ports work fine for kb/mouse.

I wasn't able to find any additional configuration information on either the product page or in the technical forums related to getting this adaptor's Ethernet port to work on a pi 0 W.

Can this adapter be used to add wired Ethernet capabilities to the Pi 0 W? If so, can you please provide a link for configuration steps needed to get it working? If not, can you please recommend one that will and allow me to return/exchange this adaptor for that?

Thanks.

adapier

Re: Product ID: 2992 not recognized by Pi0W latest bullseye

Post by adapier »

I've confirmed the Ethernet adapter works using a phone, so the problem is the adapter + pi0W + bullseye. It does not work with default bullseye settings. Does it work under any circumstances with the pi0W?

adafruit_support_carter

Post by adafruit_support_carter »

Please try the following to see what messages get output as a way to see what the Pi might be doing at a lower level.

Start with the Hub disconnected from the Pi.

The run the following at a command line:

Code: Select all

dmesg -w
It will print a bunch of stuff and then stop and sit there. We only care about any new messages that show up. Now plug in the Hub and see what new messages show up. Please paste those here

adapier

Post by adapier »

When I boot the device without the adapter attached, and then attach it, the device immediately reboots, so no luck with dmesg -w.

More interestingly, when I boot the device with the adapter attached now, it boots with the ethernet adapter (eth0) working. Absolutely no change to pi0W between this morning when it didn't work, and this evening when it did other than:

a) adafruit_support_carter posted to this thread

b) I connected the adapter to my phone's OTG port to verify the adapter's Ethernet connection worked.

As an IT support professional, I've seen many examples of a) where my presence eliminates a problem. However, in this case, not believing in voodoo, I have to think that b) somehow did something in the adapter so it is now recognized. I leave it to better minds than mine to figure this out, but my apparent fix was connecting the adapter to my OTG phone in airplane mode with an ethernet connection. Literally nothing else differentiated multiple days of failure for this to work on the Pi0W from this evening than that.

However, covering all bases, much gratitude to adafruit_support_carter. Thanks.

adafruit_support_carter

Post by adafruit_support_carter »

Thanks for trying the test. Bummer it didn't work. The hot connection must have been enough of a power draw spike that it caused the Pi to reset.

But it sounds like it's working now at least.

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/

Return to “Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories”