30mm LED Arcade button to batery

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
dmacky

30mm LED Arcade button to batery

Post by dmacky »

I'd like to buy this 30mm LED arcade button (https://www.adafruit.com/product/491). But I want to use it as a stand alone on/on off button, decorative/art. Can this item be powered by a button battery (say 2032 or other type)?
If so, how and what other items are needed to make it work?

Thanks

dastels

Re: 30mm LED Arcade button to batery

Post by dastels »

This is just a LED and a momentary pushbutton switch, separate but in a single package. What exactly do you want to do with it?

Dave

dmacky

Post by dmacky »

I’d like to configure it to a small battery, not in an actual video game console. I’m essentially trying to make a 30mm puck light. Something I can stick on my bike or car that says “light speed” or something and it lights up when I press it.
I understand the product is just the light and switch. What else do need to get it to work as a simple, portable, battery powered led light? Is it even possible?

I’m new to this craft so I apologize for not being up to speed on some of the terminology.

dastels

Post by dastels »

The best you could do with just the button is have it light up while it is pushed. To do that you connect the switch in series with the LED and a small resistor (as described on the product page) and power with a battery. The LED has a forward voltage of ~3.5v so a CR2032 might do the job.

Dave

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”