Raspberry Pi 4 2GB: Solid Red LED, No Green LED

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
JBreak

Raspberry Pi 4 2GB: Solid Red LED, No Green LED

Post by JBreak »

Hello,

I was lucky enough to have purchased my first Raspberry Pi on 12/30/22 and received it on 1/6/23. I purchased it with hoped of converting my 3D printer to Klipper firmware and began my journey of doing so. Everything was working great and I had gotten everything configured and up and running with the Raspberry Pi and my 3D printer until I shut everything down one night and when I turned it all back on in the morning and I was unable to connect to the Pi. I did some research on forums and noticed the red LED on my Pi would stay solid on, but the green LED would never turn on. I read some more and found that this could likely be a SD card issue, and at this point I was able to get a second Pi 4 from Chicago Electronic Distributors (I have 2 3D printers so I needed a second Pi) so I tried reformatting the SD card and reflashed it using the Raspberry Pi Imager and it worked perfectly. I knew at that point that the SD card was good, so I repeated the flashing process on the non-functioning Pi and still was seeing the same issue and couldn't get it to boot. I have since tried using 3 other SD cards, I have tried the sanity check (still no green LED and solid red), I attempted a recovery repair of the EEPROM bootloader and then flashed a fresh download of Raspberry Pi OS all to no prevail.

Some notes: I have had the Pi in a Pimoroni Pibow case since I first booted it. I also had been using the Pimoroni Fan Shim since I had gotten everything set up which had been working perfectly this whole time and will not even turn on now when the Pi is powered on. I tried also restarting the Pi with and without the fan shim and the case again to no prevail. I have been using a CanaKit Pi 4 power supply with a on/off switch. I have also tried letting the Pi sit for a few days now after reading some forums (I have since found that this advice if for Pi's with built in fuses that the Pi 4 doesn't have). I also have checked the SD card slot and all of the pins appear to be in perfect condition.

It seems odd to me that the Pi was working perfectly the first day, and then was dead on the second day. I am completely new to computers and have learned a ton from this troubleshooting experience. If there is any other advice/procedures that I have missed, I would greatly appreciate the help to finally get my 3D printer back up and running.

Thanks,
Jared

bidrohini

Re: Raspberry Pi 4 2GB: Solid Red LED, No Green LED

Post by bidrohini »

JBreak

Post by JBreak »

bidrohini wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 4:16 am You can check these answers: https://forums.raspberrypi.com/viewtopic.php?t=202219
Hello,

Like I said, I have tried using multiple different SD cards that have worked perfectly on my other Pi 4 to no prevail.

Thanks,
Jared

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

What voltages do you see on the 5V and 3.3V GPIO pins?

JBreak

Post by JBreak »

adafruit_support_mike wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 9:12 pm What voltages do you see on the 5V and 3.3V GPIO pins?
Hello,

I just checked with a multimeter and I'm seeing 5.33v on the 5v pins and nothing on the 3.3v pins.

Thanks,
Jared

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Thank you. That means the 3.3V regulator has failed.

I can authorize a refund, but not a replacement due to supply issues. Send a note containing a link to this page and your order number to [email protected] and the folks there will process the refund.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”