DS3502 I2C Digital 10K Potentiometer logic level

Breakout boards, sensors, other Adafruit kits, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
ironik

DS3502 I2C Digital 10K Potentiometer logic level

Post by ironik »

Hi, my question is rather silly, but I need confirmation. As I read from datasheet, logic level is from 0 to VCC, so if I power this module from 5V, it isn't good idea to communicate with ESP32, which have logic level at 3.3V? Powering from ESP32 3.3V pin doing job pretty well, but I would rather not use this all the time. Other solution would be powering 3.3 to VCC from other source?

Thank you for great products! Im also using spi-screen touch module, great tho.

dastels

Re: DS3502 I2C Digital 10K Potentiometer logic level

Post by dastels »

You are correct. Power needs to match the logic voltage of the controller. So 3.3v with a 3.3v board (e.g. the ESP32) and 5v with a 5v board (3.g. an Arduino UNO). Why are you concerned about powering from the 3.3 pin? What ESP32 board are you using?

Dave

ironik

Post by ironik »

Im using devkitc-v4. Well, I thought that less power and "dependiences" thru board is better. Also I need to power three of these modules, and rs485 converter. From yesterday im testing one module with converter, everything is fine so far. All of them are not much power consuming after all...
Thank you for answer :)

dastels

Post by dastels »

The 3.3v regulator is probably good for a couple 100mA depending on what it's powering on the board. Add up the current requirements of the connected devices to be sure it'll work, but it's probably ok.

Dave

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Products from Adafruit”