Do magnetic USB tip "standards" exist?

Breakout boards, sensors, other Adafruit kits, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
hberg32

Do magnetic USB tip "standards" exist?

Post by hberg32 »

I'm happy to see that you've started stocking USB cables with magnetic tips - I experimented with a charge-only type of cable a few years ago but they all seem to come from dubiously named Amazon resellers and I was never fully confident that it had proper short-circuit protection. My question for you is whether you have found there to be any emerging standards or naming conventions when it comes to the tip shapes themselves? It looks like implementations are kinda all over the place not only in terms of how many conductors are passed but also the exact shape/size of the tip, pin diameter, amount of stick-out, etc. I'm hoping some names or spec numbers will catch on to make it easier to avoid having a bunch of cables and tips that aren't compatible with each other.

Henry

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Do magnetic USB tip "standards" exist?

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

hberg32 wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:56 am My question for you is whether you have found there to be any emerging standards or naming conventions when it comes to the tip shapes themselves?
Nope.

There are very few standards for connectors in general. Mostly you find product lines from specific manufacturers that are popular, like the JST-PH series. To get standards supported by multiple manufacturers, you need something used in a wide range of commercial products, like BNC connectors for oscilloscopes and signal generators.

Magnetic connectors don't have that kind of commercial footprint, so manufacturers who choose to make them can do whatever they want.

hberg32

Re: Do magnetic USB tip "standards" exist?

Post by hberg32 »

Darn, I had a feeling that would be the case. I guess tip chaos will have to reign supreme until such time as the USB-IF gets involved, if ever.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Products from Adafruit”