Temperature Range and TEC part number - Peltier Thermo-Electric Cooler Module+Heatsink Assembly - 12V 5A -- PN: 1335

Breakout boards, sensors, other Adafruit kits, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
bigpahparay

Temperature Range and TEC part number - Peltier Thermo-Electric Cooler Module+Heatsink Assembly - 12V 5A -- PN: 1335

Post by bigpahparay »

Hey,

I can't seem to find the temperature range of the TEC that's used in these assemblies. Does anybody know the part number of the TEC?

Thanks!

bidrohini

Re: Temperature Range and TEC part number - Peltier Thermo-Electric Cooler Module+Heatsink Assembly - 12V 5A -- PN: 1335

Post by bidrohini »

I guess it is TEC1-12705. Anyway, I think Adafruit should add a datasheet.

sj_remington

Re: Temperature Range and TEC part number - Peltier Thermo-Electric Cooler Module+Heatsink Assembly - 12V 5A -- PN: 1335

Post by sj_remington »

Typical Peltier modules are rated for operation at up to 80 degrees C maximum, at any point in the module. If you exceed that, the solder junctions will rather quickly be destroyed.

It is possible to buy Peltier modules rated for operation as high as 200 C (e.g. for use as thermoelectric generators) but they are significantly more expensive.

bigpahparay

Post by bigpahparay »

Thank you both, @sj_remington and @bidrohini, from what I can tell it does appear to be a 12705.

It's really weird, I've built several homebrew heat sources that I've run anywhere between 80C and 100C and I've never had one fail. This current assembly struggled (and ultimately failed) to reach 100C, couldn't actually drive past 95C. After about an hour or so, we jogged it down to 45C and while slewing down, it broke.

The unit was drawing current like it was trying to maintain a setpoint but it was measuring room temp. That's when we measured the resistance between the leads and it was super high. Looks like I successfully killed my first TEC!

Thanks again for the info!

sj_remington

Post by sj_remington »

If you don't have an adequate heat sink on the hot side or have poor thermal contact between the Peltier module and the heat sink, temperatures within the Peltier module can easily exceed the (low) melting point of the solder used in the assembly.

The symptom of that failure is an open circuit or high resistance between the Peltier leads, as you describe. Be sure to use a thin layer of high thermal conductivity heat transfer paste between the element and heat conducting surfaces -- it is expensive but saves expensive modules.

bigpahparay

Post by bigpahparay »

Understood, it was just odd to me initially that I've been able to use my same design for so long and not have a problem. Then finding out that I've been using it beyond it's spec'd capabilities was an eye opener for sure!

For now, I'll be using this module for my ranges 15C to 80C. My next project is finding a reliable TEC for 80C to 100C+

Thanks again!

sj_remington

Post by sj_remington »

You might try the thermoelectric generator module TG12-8L, which is rated for continuous operation at 200 C, intermittent to 250 C on the hot side.

I bought mine directly from the manufacturer, Marlow Industries Inc. and they have been extremely reliable. Power output of one module is 8W at Tc = 50 C, Th = 230 C.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Products from Adafruit”