Trinket 3V and Arduino IDE 2.0: Can't upload sketch

Adafruit's tiny microcontroller platform. Please tell us which board you are using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
simongrape

Trinket 3V and Arduino IDE 2.0: Can't upload sketch

Post by simongrape »

Hi,

I've successfully uploaded code to several Trinkets 3V during the last couple of years.

But now, with the new Arduino IDE it does not work. My settings:

Board: Adafruit Trinket (ATiny85 @ 8MHz)
Port: no Port selected
Programmer: USBtinyISP
Arduino IDE: 2.0.3

If I try to upload it says: "A programmer is required to upload". If I try to uoload using programmer (cmd + shift + u) it says: "Failed programming: uploading error: exit status 1".

I tried multiple new (just unpacked) trinkets (all 3V): None of them blinks when I press the button or reconnect it. The red light just turns on, rather dim, for about 2 seconds (in some cases, it stays on, brighter).

I also tried to install older Arduino IDEs and – still no success.

What am I doing wrong?

Franklin97355

Re: Trinket 3V and Arduino IDE 2.0: Can't upload sketch

Post by Franklin97355 »

Can you set the IDE to verbose and post the output? Also, how many Trinkets are you talking about, and did you test the cable to see if it was working?

danmikesell

Post by danmikesell »

I have this problem too using a known good cable. I can't get a serial port to pop up when I plug the Trinket 3v in. I plug in a Feather and it pops up immediately.

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Note the deprecation warning in the product description: https://www.adafruit.com/product/1500
Deprecation Warning: The Trinket bit-bang USB technique it uses doesn't work as well as it did in 2014, many modern computers won't work well. So while we still carry the Trinket so that people can maintain some older projects, we no longer recommend it. Please check out the Trinket M0. It has built-in USB, more capabilities, and is comparable in price!
The timing tolerances on recent generations of USB ports are much tighter than they were when the original Trinket boards were released. So the software USB stack on the Trinket does not work well on them. If you don't have an older (ca. 2014) computer, sometimes, putting an older USB 2.0 or earlier hub between the computer and the Trinket helps. Other than that, you really need a processor with native hardware USB like the Trinket M0.

simongrape

Post by simongrape »

Thank you all for the questions and information. Sorry for the late answer. I was in vacation for two weeks.

I tested uploading a simple program (blink) on twelve Trinkets (3V). I found a solution now – here's what I learned:

If the Trinket's red LED flashes with around 2 Hz, the upload using cmd+shift+u (upload using programmer) works, although it takes multiple attempts sometimes (press cmd+shift+u again and shortly after press button again).

Normally the Trinket should be in this ready-to-upload mode (red LED flashes with 2 Hz) shortly after it's connected to USB or after pressing the Trinket's button.

But some Trinkets just did not get in this ready-to-upload mode: After pressing the button, the red LED glowed dimly for some time and turned off after. Trying to upload led to the message: Could not find USBtiny device (0x1781/0xc9f). In these cases, the following helped: Pressing the button while also touching USB+ and #1 pin with one finger: after that, the red LED started flashing brightly again.

(I'm using a 2013 mac book air, so the USB shouldn't be too fast).

– Simon

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Trinket ATTiny, Trinket M0”