Max speed for NEMA 17 Stepper Motor from Adafruit

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
hoobay

Max speed for NEMA 17 Stepper Motor from Adafruit

Post by hoobay »

What is the max speed for the NEMA-17 Stepper Motor sold by Adafruit?

The product description said they were able to get it to run at 50RPM.

From a simple project that I tried, I'm seeing about that, I think. I'm new to Arduino and stepper motors in general, so I'm not sure if there is a way to drive it faster.

For my simple project, I take one step which includes going through the 4-step sequence of AINx/BINx. I "delay(1)", and take the next step, and that continues in a loop, and is where I see ~50RPM. If I remove the delay, the motor hums, but does not rotate, so I guess some delay is needed between steps.

So at least with this approach, it does not seem like there is a way to drive the motor faster than 50RPM.

Thanks!

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Max speed for NEMA 17 Stepper Motor from Adafruit

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

What is the max speed for the NEMA-17 Stepper Motor sold by Adafruit?
That depends partly on the load and partly on the motor driver and power supply you drive it with.

Using the MotorShield V2 and a 12v supply, the max speed without library modifications is about 50 RPM. But the limitation there is communication speed to the Shield.

Driven at 12v with a simple dual H-Bridge driver such as the TB6612 (same as used on the Motor Shield), I've driven these as fast as 250RPM - unloaded. Note that at that speed the motor does not have much torque. If you add some load or try to run faster than 250RPM it will start missing steps.

With a current limiting driver and a higher voltage power supply, it should be possible to increase the torque and achieve higher speeds.

https://learn.adafruit.com/all-about-stepper-motors

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”