Higher voltage / current for the Servo Shield

Adafruit Ethernet, Motor, Proto, Wave, Datalogger, GPS Shields - etc!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
allmusicsingh

Higher voltage / current for the Servo Shield

Post by allmusicsingh »

Hello, want to drive 5 high-power 12-bit digital servos with a 7.4 20C RC servo battery. Any problems connecting a higher-voltage battery into the shield? I have tested the servos with this battery already, and they work well.

mikeysklar

Re: Higher voltage / current for the Servo Shield

Post by mikeysklar »

7.4v is higher than the guide and schematic recommend.
To power servos you will need to also connect the V+ power supply - this is the power supply for the servos. (If you are lighting up single LEDs you may not need this power supply.) This power supply should be 5 or 6VDC. You can connect this power through the blue terminal block. There is reverse-polarity protection in case you hook up power backwards.
https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-16- ... wm-1816574

https://cdn-learn.adafruit.com/assets/a ... 1475004071

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

The components on the shield can handle the higher voltage OK. But I'd be wary of the current. Some of the new high-torque servos can easily pull several amps each when moving. If you are going to be pulling 5A or more, I'd consider running power to the servos directly.

allmusicsingh

Post by allmusicsingh »

adafruit_support_bill wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:21 pm The components on the shield can handle the higher voltage OK. But I'd be wary of the current. Some of the new high-torque servos can easily pull several amps each when moving. If you are going to be pulling 5A or more, I'd consider running power to the servos directly.
Ok, thank you, I will do that.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino Shields from Adafruit”