QT Py ESP32 Pico and LiPoly Charger BFF

For Adafruit customers who seek help with microcontrollers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
MDickson81

QT Py ESP32 Pico and LiPoly Charger BFF

Post by MDickson81 »

Hello,

I recently purchased these items together, I soldered them up this evening and plugged them into my computer to load up code and attached a battery. In doing so I had some excessive smoke coming from the BFF. Initially there was no battery charging light then after a few moments, the light came on. When plugging it back in both the QT Py and BFF, it gets extremely hot to the touch. The QT Py seems to be functioning when unplugged from the computer and runs off the battery. The smoke was coming from the charge chip I do believe. I would like a replacement for both as these two components should not be getting this hot I would expect. And now that I had soldered the units together the QT Py it would be easier to replace than try to unsolder the two. My order was, 9400111206207912183911.

dastels

Re: QT Py ESP32 Pico and LiPoly Charger BFF

Post by dastels »

Please post clear closeups of the soldered connections.

Dave

MDickson81

Post by MDickson81 »

Also did further checking and found that the BFF is not functioning with the battery.

dastels

Post by dastels »

I see what looks like overheating damage on the charger chip. The soldering looks great, btw.

Please email [email protected] with a link to this thread, your order number, and request the replacement of one LiPo Charger BFF.

Working slowly & patiently with some solder wick https://www.adafruit.com/product/149 will get the bff removed. Be mindful not to heat any one area too much at a time.

Dave

MDickson81

Post by MDickson81 »

Thank you Dave, I will give it a shot on removing the solder never really did much with it before.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Microcontrollers”