Difference: Adafruit ESP32-S2 TFT Feather and Adafruit ESP32-S2 Reverse TFT Feather

CircuitPython on hardware including Adafruit's boards, and CircuitPython libraries using Blinka on host computers.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
blakebr

Difference: Adafruit ESP32-S2 TFT Feather and Adafruit ESP32-S2 Reverse TFT Feather

Post by blakebr »

Hello,

What are the CircuitPython differences between the ESP32-S2 TFT Feather and ESP32-S2 Reverse TFT Feather models, besides the 3~4 buttons? I imagine the definitions for the 3 buttons can be found in dir(board) with the new CircuitPython OS in place.

Are there any changes in addressing the TFT display? Are there any changes to the edge pin definitions.

In other words: Can I take the code I have running on my ESP32-S2 TFT Feather and and drop it 100% into the ESP32-S2 Reverse TFT Feather and expect it to work? At a later time I can update the CircuitPython OS to the Reverse version and thereby add functionality for the 3 bush buttons.

Is the reverse true? can I put the ESP32-S2 Reverse TFT Feather CP OS on my ESP32-S2 TFT Feather and expect it to work with the exception of the 3 buttons?

Bruce

neradoc

Re: Difference: Adafruit ESP32-S2 TFT Feather and Adafruit ESP32-S2 Reverse TFT Feather

Post by neradoc »

You can copy your code onto the board and it should run the same without any issue.
And you can add some button code later.
Always install the version of Circuitpython for the board that you use.

blakebr

Re: Difference: Adafruit ESP32-S2 TFT Feather and Adafruit ESP32-S2 Reverse TFT Feather

Post by blakebr »

Neradoc,

There are differences between the two boards that make code that uses specific GPxx ports instead of ports by reference probably not work one OS version to the other.

board.TX, board.RX, board.SCL, board.SCA, and board.STEMMA_I2C look to have been moved. There are probably others I have not found.

Code: Select all

ESP32S2-S2 TFT:
D1  ~ TX
D2  ~ RX
D41 ~ SCL
D42 ~ SDA

Code: Select all

ESP32S2-S2 Reverse TFT:
D39 ~ TX
D38 ~ RX
D4  ~ SCL
D3  ~ SDA
I bet these changes were necessary because of the changes in geography.
Moving parts around and adding the buttons makes engineers earn their money.
The ESP32-S2 is a highly-integrated, low-power, 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi System-on-Chip (SoC) solution that now has built-in native USB as well as some other interesting new technologies like Time of Flight distance measurements.
Where is the Time of Flight sensor mounted on the board or integrated into the OS? I don't see it under modules.

Under >>> help("modules") ulab is shown twice. Are there two ways to reference ulab or is one a typo?
I do not see D0, D1, or D2 referenced under board. supervisor. microcontroller. or modules. Will their use be explained when the Overview web page is published?
Will the schematics of both versions of this board be published in the near future?

Thank you for your time and effort,
Bruce

clarkj

Post by clarkj »

There's one "non-difference" that I wish they would have addressed -- see viewtopic.php?p=958778#p958778 -- to wit, that the mounting holes at the end away from the USB connector are very slightly too small for a nylon M2.5 screw thread.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Adafruit CircuitPython”