Feather ESP32-S3 TFT

For Adafruit customers who seek help with microcontrollers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
eswo

Re: Feather ESP32-S3 TFT

Post by eswo »

Thank you. I have reset it. I will let you know the results.

eswo

Post by eswo »

There has been no change - it is still acting the same way.

adafruit_support_carter

Post by adafruit_support_carter »

When going through the factory reset - there were no issues getting a COM port to show up in ROM bootloader mode?

Were you using the WebSerial approach or were you running esptool directly?

eswo

Post by eswo »

I had an issue initially getting the board to power up, but once I let it sit for a couple hours I was able to use the webserial connection to reload the firmware. It was stable for about 15 - 20 minutes before it powered off again. Now the tft display doesn't seem to display anything anymore.

eswo

Post by eswo »

Are there any other things I should try?

adafruit_support_carter

Unfortunately the current state of the Feather is now unknown. The shorting of the power pins could have caused various damage.
feather1.png
feather1.png (200.12 KiB) Viewed 179 times
feather2.png
feather2.png (145.73 KiB) Viewed 179 times
It's obviously not completely dead, since it can sort of work for a bit. But it's not working as expected and now a component is getting hot.

It's still not clear what the original issue was.
I have a new board (a couple of days old) that keeps dropping power.
Other than the power supply, what else was attached to the Feather at this point? What program was running on the Feather? What was the indication that is was dropping power?

eswo

Post by eswo »

I had only connected the feather to the TermBlock Featherwing, I used the on/off switch on there, but I have not connected any other sensors. I was intially using my PC USB connector to power on the board and program it, I was pulling weather data and trying to update the tft display when the power kept dropping, disconnecting from my pc - not allowing me to completely finish my script. I was using portions of the script from here -> https://learn.adafruit.com/pico-w-wifi- ... weathermap
I ended up moving the board to another power supply which worked for awhile, but I could still not keep the board online long enough to test my scripts - now it seems that the display is no longer working at all.

The only think I can think of is that I tried to access the "onboard" temp sensor before realizing it did not have one. That was the only odd thing that I have done with this board. Note I have tried using circuitpython 7.x abd 8.x and have the same issues.

adafruit_support_carter

We'll replace this Feather this time. Please post here first with any issues that may arise before shorting power pins together.

Send an email to [email protected] with a link to this thread and your order number and they can send you a replacement Feather ESP32-S3 TFT.

eswo

Post by eswo »

Thank you I appreciate your assistance.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Microcontrollers”