Audio FX Sound Board defective

Breakout boards, sensors, other Adafruit kits, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
kc8lin

Audio FX Sound Board defective

Post by kc8lin »

Received my new Audio FX Sound board today part No 2217. It appears the unit is DOA. When applying 5vdc the act light illuminates and stays lit. The device does not show as an external USB device but instead as a USB Audio device. This appears to be a sporadic issue with these boards as indicated on several other forum posts over the years. The board voltages don't appear correct. It states there should be pull up resistors on all the GPIO pins related to sound output 0-10. I would expect a 3.3v, but it's zero. This appears as a board failure right out of the gate. Reset pin is at 3.3v for reference. Order 2968302

Jason S.

mikeysklar

Re: Audio FX Sound Board defective

Post by mikeysklar »

Are you powering it externally and plugging it into USB? Make sure you are using USB with nothing else connected when plugging it into a computer to transfer files.

Are you using a USB cable and port that are known good for high current (2A) and data?

kc8lin

Post by kc8lin »

Thanks for the reply. I am using a good known working data cable and the computer USB port should be able to provide 1.5 to 2amps. When the board voltages we’re measured they were 5v and 3.3 on the reset pin. I’m believe this is a hardware issue with this board.

Jason S.

mikeysklar

Post by mikeysklar »

I have a working Audio FX and was measuring 5v in the Vin, 3v3 on the reset and 3v3 on the GPIOs.

Have you used this USB cable for other data transfers? Uploading code to a microcontroller for example. The Audio FX is finicky about quality cables.

Do you see any LED activity? Mine is green.

When you plugin a head phone do you hear the tone? You will need to not be powering through USB to hear that

What type of USB port are you plugging into? Is it a USB-A port 2.0 on a PC or USB-C 3.1?

What version of Windows are you running?

kc8lin

Post by kc8lin »

Hello Mikey,

On this board I measure 0v on the GPIOs which I believe is why the ACT light is illuminated the moment it powers up regardless if powered via USB or 5v bench supply. Perhaps it believes the GPIO pins are pulled low for some reason. These are shown to have a pull up resistor to vcc so they should have some voltage present. The reset pin does register 3.3v so I know the 3v regulator is working at some point, however this voltage is not present at the GPIOs. For some reason there is no pull up measured on the GPIOs. I have tried two USB cables that are good known working with other data devices. I have tried Win7 USB2 and Win10 USB3 all show as an audio device. This is the same behavior as several other postings (linked below). I'm not sure what the failure is here, but I firmly believe it's not as simple as a USB cable or windows driver issue. There is no audio output from the built in audio chipset during power up or grounding the GPIO pins. Since there is no voltage on the GPIO pins the micro won't know i'm trying to play a file by pulling down a pin.

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=173168
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=160901

The VS1000 data sheet states this device can be either an audio driver or mass storage device depending on pull up resistor to the chip. It is showing up as an audio device so this chip is not in the correct state. This can not be solved with a different USB cable.

https://cdn.sparkfun.com/assets/1/e/a/7/2/vs1000.pdf

Thanks
Jason S.

mikeysklar

Post by mikeysklar »

The only time I've seen this behavior is when there is a wire shorting a connection to a GPIO pin.

Let's try a replacement. Please e-mail [email protected] and provide them with a link to this forum thread and your order#.

kc8lin

Post by kc8lin »

Thanks Mike, will do. Either that or maybe this module does not have the correct firmware programmed? Thanks for your time.

Happy Holidays / Merry Christmas.

kc8lin

Post by kc8lin »

New board arrived today, works great. Out of the box using same USB cable it shows up as an external drive. Works great. I believe the first one may not have been flashed correctly or has a hardware defect. Happy Holidays.

- Jason S.

mikeysklar

Post by mikeysklar »

Thank you for the followup. Glad to hear the replacement just works.

Art15an

Post by Art15an »

hello everyone. I am having a very similar issue, except my audio fx board is not recognized by my computer at all. I have tried multiple cables and multiple ports (usb 3). There are no detected hardware changes in the device manager (I checked all audio, usb, storage, and other sections to be sure. I checked under the disk management tool and it was not visible there either. How do I go about starting an exchange? Thanks

mikeysklar

Post by mikeysklar »

Art15an,

Pleases start a new thread with your issue. If you have not already make sure to try other non USB-3 known good data cables. Also let us know what you see in terms of LED indicators.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Products from Adafruit”