Adafruit LC709203F JST PH Jumper Cables too fat

Breakout boards, sensors, other Adafruit kits, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
dmlond

Adafruit LC709203F JST PH Jumper Cables too fat

Post by dmlond »

I recently ordered 2 Adafruit LC709203F LiPoly / LiIon Fuel Gauge and Battery Monitors (order 3004217-2037653905), each came with a JST PH Jumper cable. I hooked the first PH cable to one JST input on one of the LC709293F and the other to my feather s2. I hooked a battery to the other JST input. I was able to get it working in the python console.

I then went to disassemble it, and I could not get the included JST PH jumper cables out of the JST inputs on either the LC709293F or my feather s2 with my fingers because it is too fat (unlike the adafruit LiPoly Battery that I am using). I used a hemostat, and that slipped off the plastic piece and tore out the ground wire.
I decided to try the JST PH Jumper cable that came with my second LC709293F. I hooked it up the same way, but it too was too fat to remove from the JST inputs. I used hemostats again. This time, it actually broke the plastic on top of the JST input on the LC709203F, and it nicked the wire on the Jumper. I do not think that this is safe to use any more. I would like a new LC709203F, and 2 new JST PH Jumper cables that are not too fat.
Attachments
broken_input.jpg
broken_input.jpg (167.6 KiB) Viewed 80 times
nicked-1.jpg
nicked-1.jpg (170.74 KiB) Viewed 80 times
nicked-2.jpg
nicked-2.jpg (115.77 KiB) Viewed 80 times

dastels

Re: Adafruit LC709203F JST PH Jumper Cables too fat

Post by dastels »

They aren't too fat. If they were, they wouldn't go in. There are little "bumps" that engage with the socket to hold them securely in place. Since they aren't really meant to be repeatedly inserted/removed those bumps will wear down over time and become less secure and easier to remove. Maybe the best approach to remove a snug connector is to gently use diagonal cutters to carefully pry behind the "wings" on either side of the plug.

Dave

dmlond

Post by dmlond »

I really believe that are just slightly bigger than the ones on the 2 unused adafruit lipo batteries that I have. They are much harder to plug in, and they do not come out without significant force that ends up damaging either the plug or, as in my case, the breakout board input. I might as well solder, which is what these are supposed to prevent. The breakout board and both wires are damaged on the very day I received them. This is not a good experience.

adafruit_support_carter

Post by adafruit_support_carter »

These JST's can sometimes be extra snug and tricky to remove. Should work to *carefully* pry with something like the hemostats, etc.

Let's just replace both LC709203F's. Send an email to [email protected] with a link to this thread and your order number and they can send you two replacement LC709203F's.

dmlond

Post by dmlond »

Thanks so much. I will definitely be more careful when I pull these off in the future.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Products from Adafruit”