Arduino IDE and Adafruit QT PY ESP32-S2 (#5325)

For Adafruit customers who seek help with microcontrollers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
wroom

Arduino IDE and Adafruit QT PY ESP32-S2 (#5325)

Post by wroom »

Hi folks. A little frustrated here, having spent quite a bit of time working through the documentation online. I feel like I'm missing something critical so I thought I'd come on here for help.

I have an Adafruit QT PY ESP32-S2 (PN #5325). I have successfully been able to do the following:
1. Plugged it into my computer and have the neopixel demo run on the board (a pulsing LED)
2. I can double-reset and get the red LED to show, then the QT PY shows its UF2 bootloader, which I can successfully overwrite.
3. I can install CircuitPython and see the QT PY as a USB drive.

What I cannot do is upload a sketch to the QT PY using the Arduino IDE.

When I select the correct serial port, then hit the "upload button" in the arduino IDE, the code compiles successfully then tries to connect to the QT PY using esptool (within the ARduino IDE). Immediately after esptool runs on the Arduino IDE, the pulsing neopixel demo on the board stops running and the board appears "dead". The Arduino IDE then reports that the upload to the board failed due a timeout.

If I load the manual bootloader (using the boot on, reset on, reset off, boot off button combination) the pulsing neopixel demo on the board stops. Then I must wait about 30 seconds before the board shows a serial port on my Arduino IDE that I can connect to.

If I try to upload while the QT PY is in manual bootloader mode, the Arduino IDE fails to find the serial port, and upload doesn't work. If I hit the reset button while in bootloader mode, the board immediately begins to run the neopixel demo again (which is good, I guess.)

Either way, this should not be this difficult. Could someone please tell me how to successfully upload my sketch from Arduino IDE to the ESP32-S2 QT PY (PN #5325)

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Arduino IDE and Adafruit QT PY ESP32-S2 (#5325)

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Try double-clicking the reset button when the Arduino IDE starts trying to upload.

The bootloader treats a single click as an order to start running the existing code again. A double-click is the command to upload new firmware.

wroom

Post by wroom »

Thanks for the response!

I have tried double clicking the reset button when the arduino IDE starts trying to upload and the upload still fails. Here's the log info from the Arduino IDE when I double-click the reset button after the arduino IDE starts to try uploading.

Code: Select all

Sketch uses 690418 bytes (47%) of program storage space. Maximum is 1441792 bytes.
Global variables use 81576 bytes (24%) of dynamic memory, leaving 246104 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 327680 bytes.
Forcing reset using 1200bps open/close on port COM5
PORTS {COM5, } / {COM5, } => {}
PORTS {COM5, } / {} => {}
PORTS {} / {} => {}
PORTS {} / {} => {}
PORTS {} / {} => {}
PORTS {} / {} => {}
PORTS {} / {} => {}
PORTS {} / {} => {}
PORTS {} / {} => {}
PORTS {} / {} => {}
PORTS {} / {} => {}
PORTS {} / {} => {}
PORTS {} / {} => {}
PORTS {} / {} => {}
PORTS {} / {} => {}
PORTS {} / {} => {}
PORTS {} / {} => {}
PORTS {} / {} => {}
PORTS {} / {} => {}
PORTS {} / {} => {}
PORTS {} / {} => {}
PORTS {} / {} => {}
PORTS {} / {} => {}
PORTS {} / {} => {}
PORTS {} / {} => {}
PORTS {} / {} => {}
PORTS {} / {} => {}
PORTS {} / {} => {}
PORTS {} / {} => {}
PORTS {} / {} => {}
PORTS {} / {} => {}
PORTS {} / {} => {}
PORTS {} / {} => {}
PORTS {} / {} => {}
PORTS {} / {} => {}
PORTS {} / {} => {}
PORTS {} / {} => {}
PORTS {} / {} => {}
PORTS {} / {} => {}
PORTS {} / {} => {}
Couldn't find a Board on the selected port. Check that you have the correct port selected.  If it is correct, try pressing the board's reset button after initiating the upload.
Though the above messages occur, and the upload fails, what does successfully happen is the following:
1. The QT PY's LED blinks red, then turns red
2. Shortly afterwards, the QT PY's LED turns green.
3. The following window (called QTPYS2BOOT) opens up on my PC:
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (69.29 KiB) Viewed 215 times

wroom

Post by wroom »

Sorry to keep pestering for a response, but does anyone use the QT PY with the Arduino IDE succesfully?

I can't believe that I am the only one trying.

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

The output from the upload process shows the COM port dropping out, which is normal, but not coming back. That would be consistent with the LED going red.

It sounds like it's taking longer than 10 seconds for your board to connect to the computer, which is unusual.

The fact that you get a 'QTPYS2BOOT' directory means the microcontroller is making a valid USB connection eventually, which rules out most of the obvious connection problems.

Try using some other USB cables and see if they have any effect on the connection timing. USB cables are more like components than connectors, and they aren't all created equally.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Microcontrollers”