Unable to Upload Metro 328

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
BanjoDance

Unable to Upload Metro 328

Post by BanjoDance »

Hi there, new to arduino and just bought a Metro 328. I'm currently working on a keypad, and was able to upload a midi sketch to it to test the board yesterday in the IDE as an UNO, but for some reason I'm receiving an error

avrdude: ser_open(): can't open decive "\\.\COM4": The system cannot find the file specified.

Can anyone tell me what I broke?

dastels

Re: Unable to Upload Metro 328

Post by dastels »

Try resetting when Arduino start trying to upload.
Also, posting the entire build output is more useful than just the final error.

Dave

BanjoDance

Post by BanjoDance »

So, I'm currently trying to run the Arduino Midi Note example to my Metro. I have the Arduino 2.0 IDE with Adafruit Metro surrport, and I have it connected on serial port 4 via the micro usb cable. The sketch https://docs.arduino.cc/built-in-exampl ... ation/Midi
I was able to upload the sketch last night but for some reason i could not re-upload the sketch adjusting the root note. (I replaced 0x1E with 0x15, the first note in MIDI)
The code compiles properly,
Sketch uses 1694 bytes (5%) of program storage space. Maximum is 32256 bytes.
Global variables use 184 bytes (8%) of dynamic memory, leaving 1864 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 2048 bytes.
But
Sketch uses 1694 bytes (5%) of program storage space. Maximum is 32256 bytes.
Global variables use 184 bytes (8%) of dynamic memory, leaving 1864 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 2048 bytes.
avrdude: ser_open(): can't open device "\\.\COM4": The system cannot find the file specified.

Failed uploading: uploading error: exit status 1

So, im unsure as to why I'm unable to write new sketches to the Metro 328. Even attempting Blink gives the "cant open device" error

dastels

Post by dastels »

The board and port are set correctly?

Dave

BanjoDance

Post by BanjoDance »

I believe so. I've tried every iteration i could think of, from downloading the Metro support for the IDE onto my pc and trying to upload a copy of 'blink', to trying to use the web editor from arduino.
Currently, I'm using the Arduino IDE 2.0 with Adafruit libraries, so the IDE Sees the Metro on COM4. My Nano Every, which is assigned COM3, can still recieve new sketches fine. The metro does not

dastels

Post by dastels »

You say Arduino sees the Metro328? But can't upload to it?

Dave

BanjoDance

Post by BanjoDance »

Yes! it seems like i'm having an issue with the usb/i2c. i'm not sure if there is a way to access the bootloader and flash it as a new chip or not but this seems like what's going on. I originally ran the metro as an Arduino Uno with the IDE and ran that sketch, using a MIDI cable to monitor the output in Vital. But, now, after trying to use the reset button while uploading, the MIDI sketch i had it running successfully yesterday is not, and i'm still having issues uploading new code

dastels

Post by dastels »

This is the first time you've mentioned I2C. What's going on with it? It's not related to USB. USB and UART share Rx and Tx.

Yes, it's basically an Arduino UNO.

Dave

BanjoDance

Post by BanjoDance »

i just believe im having issues compiling in the ide. next weekend i'll install the terminal and see if i can't fint the device that way.
also, I am referring to the CP2104

BanjoDance

Post by BanjoDance »

At current, I have not been able to establish a connection using PuTTY at all

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”