ESP32-S3 QT-PY Will Only Upload in Manual Bootload Mode

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
xFishbonex

ESP32-S3 QT-PY Will Only Upload in Manual Bootload Mode

Post by xFishbonex »

My ESP32-S3 QT-PY dev board will only accept an upload if I put it in manual Bootload Mode (Press and hold BOOT while pressing and release RESET then release BOOT). When I do this, my PC sees the device on COM4. After the upload, when I reset the board to execute the sketch, it switches to COM5. While in COM5, it will not receive an upload - I have to do the manual Bootload procedure again.

Is this the correct behavior for this board? Am I missing a driver or something?

Thanks,
Mark

adafruit_support_mike

Re: ESP32-S3 QT-PY Will Only Upload in Manual Bootload Mode

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

The change in COM ports is normal.

The USB enumeration process starts with a 'device descriptor' that tells the USB host how the connected device works. That's followed by a negotiation process to work out the exact parameters of the USB connection. That takes time, so all major OSes save the connection settings so they can go faster the next time that device is connected.

Windows saves those settings as COM ports, and there's a difference between the connection settings to upload firmware and the settings for a Serial connection. As far as Windows is concerned, those are two different USB devices.

As for having to reboot manually, what version of Windows and the Arduino IDE are you using? There's a known driver issue mentioned on this page of the tutorial:

https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-qt- ... 63d17882fc

xFishbonex

Re: ESP32-S3 QT-PY Will Only Upload in Manual Bootload Mode

Post by xFishbonex »

Hi Mike:
I am running Windows 10. I tried Arduino IDE 2.0.3 as well as PlatformIO. I get the same behavior on both IDEs so I'm thinking something in Windows may be mucked up.

Thanks!
Mark

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”