Pro Trinket 5V

Adafruit's tiny microcontroller platform. Please tell us which board you are using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
cgarcia

Pro Trinket 5V

Post by cgarcia »

Hi all

I'm new to this, but trying to revive some old projects (that I previously had help with) using the Pro Trinket 5V. Hoping to learn and work more autonomously moving forward.

Anyway, I'm not able to connect the pro trinket via USB, even though I have already installed the correct board package. When I connect, the green light is on and the red consistently blinks and it says "not connected". I am plugging it into a USB-C port on my macbook, with an adaptor from a USB-A to micro USB cable (if that makes any difference).

Any advice would be helpful at this point! Thanks!

dastels

Re: Pro Trinket 5V

Post by dastels »

That's not surprising. See the deprecation warning on the product page:
Deprecation Warning: The Pro Trinket bit-bang USB technique it uses doesn't work as well as it did in 2014, many modern computers won't work well. So while we still carry the Pro Trinket so that people can maintain some older projets, we no longer recommend it.
You will have more success rebuilding around a more modern MCU board.

Dave

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

If you don't want to replace the Pro Trinket board, an FTDI cable is the most reliable way of programming them:
https://www.adafruit.com/product/70

dastels

Post by dastels »

Hmm.. that looks like it'd work. See https://learn.adafruit.com/introducing- ... using-ftdi.

Dave

cgarcia

Post by cgarcia »

Thanks for the advice!

The original project was from 2016 and I had successfully revived it in 2020 (using Ardiuno 1.8.12 and an older MacBook c. late 2013). Do you think this is why it worked? I see USB issues didn't start occuring til 2014..

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Most likely. Older versions of USB were slower, so the timing was less critical. USB 3.1 was introduced about that time and doubled the data transfer speed relative to 3.0.

In theory, it was backwards compatible, but it had much less tolerance for any variance from the strict timing standard. So some older stuff had compatibility issues.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Trinket ATTiny, Trinket M0”