Using digital outputs

adafruit.io wippersnapper BETA support, discussions, and more!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
If you're posting code, please make sure your code does not include your Adafruit IO Active Key or WiFi network credentials.
ellisob

Using digital outputs

Post by ellisob »

I can turn on or off the built-in led using WipperSnapper, but cannot seem to do the same with other digital outputs (D4, D5, D12, etc.). Any ideas? I am just using a DVM to check the output I am trying to toggle. I am using an Adafruit HUZZAH ESP8266. I can also toggle a switch as per the tutorial with no issues.

brubell
Learn User Page

Re: Using digital outputs

Post by brubell »

Hi, what type of component/part/etc are you planning on driving with the digital output?

Could you attach a screenshot to this post of your ESP8266's device page showing the configured digital outputs?

ellisob

Post by ellisob »

ellisob_ex1.JPG
ellisob_ex1.JPG (97.15 KiB) Viewed 1013 times
Actually, I am just trying to get acquainted with this very clever concept. Eventually, I would like to deploy various sensors and outputs around the house to play with. So, for now, I am feeding the positive lead of a LED which in in seried with 1K resistor to ground. If I move my drive side of the LED to D0, I can verify the LED turns on and off (alternately with the on board LED). When I move the drive side to D4 . . . I can not toggle the LED at all. Same for D5, D2, or D12. I also verified that all of these outputs will work if I use the Arduino IDE with a modified "blink" program . . . so the problem seems to be related to the io system . . . ? Pic of screen attached as you suggest. Thank you for your assitance!

brubell
Learn User Page

Post by brubell »

Could you also attach a photo of your LED wiring when connected to D4?

ellisob

Post by ellisob »

Attaching photo of test setup per your request:
Picture shows drive (green) wire connected to pin 4 of Huzzah esp8266. When I toggle the led4 switch, the led state does not change (stays off). If I move the green wire to Pin 0, the external led will toggle on/off when I toggle the led built-in switch (but of course state is inverted from the internal LED). This let's me know my wiring is correct from Green wire, through resistor, to ground.
test_pic.JPG
test_pic.JPG (129.19 KiB) Viewed 992 times

ellisob

Post by ellisob »

Side view of pinout connected :-)
test_pic_side.JPG
test_pic_side.JPG (153.45 KiB) Viewed 992 times

owenthepuppy

Post by owenthepuppy »

Hello,
We are having the same problem - same board, same issue.
One thing we can add is that if you add the device as a dimmable LED, it will work properly. It only fails to work if we are doing it as a digital output.
It is also worth mentioning that we tested our wiring by using the arduino environment to turn the LED on and off as a digital output and it worked fine there.

If I didn't know any better, I would say there is some kind of bug with wippersnapper setting a digital output to high/low. Everything else seems to work - button as an input, analog output to a dimmable LED...

Thank you

ellisob

Post by ellisob »

Gr8! Thx! I will give this a try when I get a chance.

brubell
Learn User Page

Post by brubell »

I've filed an issue report for this on the WipperSnapper firmware repository and assigned it to myself.

For a timeline, I will be able to look into this towards the end of this week/early next week. I'm currently finishing up a feature to support addressable RGB pixels (NeoPixels, DotStars). I will sweep across bugs after, with this bug as a priority item.

You may track it here (I'll also update the thread): https://github.com/adafruit/Adafruit_Wi ... issues/401

ellisob

Post by ellisob »

Thx!!
And yes it does work if I use a dimmable led :-)

brubell
Learn User Page

Post by brubell »

I've been able to replicate this issue and resolved it via this pull request: https://github.com/adafruit/Adafruit_Wi ... o/pull/413. The fix for this is included in the Beta.61 release.

Could you both update to beta 61 and let me know if it has fixed this issue for you?

Forum rules
If you're posting code, please make sure your code does not include your Adafruit IO Active Key or WiFi network credentials.

Return to “Adafruit IO Wippersnapper Beta”