Circuit Playground nRF52840 DFU Update Not Working

Play with it! Please tell us which board you're using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
jacob_preston

Circuit Playground nRF52840 DFU Update Not Working

Post by jacob_preston »

I'm running the example bleuart sketch on a circuit playground with the nRF52840. I can connect to it via both the Adafruit Bluefruit Connect app and the nRF Toolbox app, but I'm not sure which files to use as the hex and init files. The sketch does output a hex file when compiled, and there's a .dat file contained in a zip file (not explicitly labelled as "init"), but when I try to use these files to perform a firmware update the update fails and the device is stuck in DFU mode. I need to upload firmware via USB again to recover it (luckily it doesn't need to be JTAG'ed).

Which files from the sketch output should I be using, and is this something that's still supported? I want to implement this feature on something that will be completely encased in a water tight enclosure without any physical access to it, so some sort of firmware OTA is important.
Last edited by jacob_preston on Wed Feb 15, 2023 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

jacob_preston

Re: Circuit Playground nRF52840 DFU Update Not Working

Post by jacob_preston »

I updated to version 0.7.0 of the bootloader and still no luck :(

jacob_preston

Post by jacob_preston »

Anyone @adafruit have any insight to what files generated by an Arduino Sketchup project I should be using with the BLE DFU mechanism?

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

what is Arduino Sketchup? the BLE DFU isnt really documented, we recommend PyLeap instead for remote programming
https://learn.adafruit.com/pyleap-app

jacob_preston

Post by jacob_preston »

Sorry, I meant Arduino sketch. I think my muscle memory just typed out sketchup...

Thanks for the recommendation on PyLeap. How do I use it to upload custom firmware from an Arduino sketch? It seems like PyLeap is also sparsely documented.

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

its for use with circuitpython, you can host your own json format which points to python code, here is our default install
https://github.com/adafruit/pyleap.github.io

jacob_preston

Post by jacob_preston »

Okay, thanks. I was hoping to avoid using Python as our power consumption will be a concern. Does circuit python allow the nRF to enter its low power states?

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

yes!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Circuit Playground Classic, Circuit Playground Express, Circuit Playground Bluefruit”