Camera covers /sheath

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/
sromanos

Camera covers /sheath

Post by sromanos »

I need to run a raspberry pi camera cable through a wall and am looking for a discrete cover for it to protect it through the wall. I suppose I'm thinking of something like those network cable covers you can get -- though, they are square and ideally I would find something thin, to slide the cable through.

Does such a thing exist?

mikeysklar

Re: Camera covers /sheath

Post by mikeysklar »

What model of camera?

Is this the ribbon connector that you are trying to protect?

sromanos

Post by sromanos »

Yes, I'm trying to protect the camera ribbon cable. On a camera module 3. On a Pi4.

mikeysklar

Post by mikeysklar »

This is a good product idea. I don't see any sort of sheath or sleeve option for the Pi Camera ribbon cables.

You will have to consider DIY options. Would it be enough to running packing tape above and below the camera ribbon then fold or trim the tape to protect the edges?

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Expandable braided cable sleeving comes in a wide variety of sizes and colors. Mouser & DigiKey carry a good selection. You can also find it on Amazon and other online retailers.

sromanos

Post by sromanos »

Yeah, I just tried the flexible braided cable, and while it was fine, it was a little too thick and rigid, which is fine if you want to make a hole with a diameter of about 1.5 times the width of the cable. In the end, I cut a slit in the wall, and used blue painters tape on both sides of the cable, then slid the cable through. It doesn't look amazing, but was very minimally intrusive.

This was all for a DIY home surveillance with the camera sitting above my door, pointed down at the doorstep. However, what I really need now is something I can mount above the door, will attach to the camera case (an Arducam ABS housing), and will allow proper adjustments of the camera angle/tilt. Ideally, something that will sit super flush against the wall above the door. Does that exist anywhere?

mikeysklar

Post by mikeysklar »

The Arducam has the 1/4" tripod mount much like the Pi Camera Board Case Adafruit sells.

There are a lot of mounting screw options for angle control. Nothing will be flush, but some are pretty minimal.

https://www.adafruit.com/?q=mount+screw&sort=BestMatch

sromanos

Post by sromanos »

The solution I found was to get a camera mount with a flexible neck (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09XHS1QTJ). I then just removed the clamp part, drilled a 1/4 hole in the wall upon which I was mounting the camera, and stuffed the neck inside. It was sturdy enough and the flexible neck allowed me to point the camera anywhere I needed. Worked great!

mikeysklar

Post by mikeysklar »

Nice! Great idea.

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/

Return to “Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories”