Adafruit IO - Which starter board(s)

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
If you're posting code, please make sure your code does not include your Adafruit IO Active Key or WiFi network credentials.
saildude

Adafruit IO - Which starter board(s)

Post by saildude »

I am thinking of giving Adafruit IO a try after a very vile experience over at Arduino

So which is a good board to start with? I have used Arduino's before. Please specific part numbers, there are a ton of things on say searching for "ESP32"

I want to do some basics and display temperatures and maybe wind speed, button or light status etc for starting. I would like a board that is self contained and a second board that would let me use an Arduino and send the same information

Sorry for a bit vague and open ended, simple is better for me

Thanks in advance for any help

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Adafruit IO - Which starter board(s)

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Start with the ESP32 Huzzah:

https://www.adafruit.com/product/4172

It's the oldest variant in the ESP32 family, which means it's the one that's best understood and has the most support. The ESP32 is a good place to start for Wifi-enabled projects because it's capable, fairly easy to use, and doesn't have the hardware limits of the ESP8266.

brubell
Learn User Page

Post by brubell »

Mike, I'm going to recommend a bunch of newer boards for Saildude.

Saildude, ESP32 refers to the processor ("ESP32 System on a Chip) used by a development board.

If you're interested in a self-contained board, I'd suggest the Adafruit FunHouse (https://www.adafruit.com/product/4985) which has a number of buttons, lights, and sensors. It is fully compatible with Adafruit IO and Adafruit IO WipperSnapper firmware.

For the second board, I'd recommend an Adafruit ESP32 Feather V2 (https://www.adafruit.com/product/5400). This is the latest version of the board Mike suggested, but it features a _lot_ of upgrades including a Stemma QT port for plug/play sensors, NeoPixel LED, and 8MB Flash memory/2MB PSRAM.

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Thanks Brent! You know Adafruit.io better than I do, and the hardware that works with it, so I'll follow your lead.

saildude

Post by saildude »

Thanks much for the quick and concise reply, greatly appreciated, so many variations and choices today it is easy to get quickly confused

I saw the Frap House and was not quite sure what to think of it

I have a few other items to order, will put them in the same order

Forum rules
If you're posting code, please make sure your code does not include your Adafruit IO Active Key or WiFi network credentials.

Return to “Internet of Things: Adafruit IO and Wippersnapper”