LoRa vs RFM69

For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
pjforde1978

LoRa vs RFM69

Post by pjforde1978 »

I'm reading everything I can find but still feeling fuzzy on the meaningful difference between LoRa and RFM69 radios.

What I gather is that LoRa is proprietary and costs more for licensing, and has a 50-100% greater range thanks to clever frequency modulation.

Is there more to it, though? They both seem to support AES-128 encryption and addressable, multi-node data packet transmission.

My intended use case is very short range ( <10 feet, LOS) so I'm trying to figure if there's any reason to consider LoRa that I might be missing.

adafruit_support_mike

Re: LoRa vs RFM69

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

pjforde1978 wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 2:18 am What I gather is that LoRa is proprietary and costs more for licensing, and has a 50-100% greater range thanks to clever frequency modulation.
That's all correct.
pjforde1978 wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 2:18 am Is there more to it, though?
LoRa also has the option to connect to a gateway device (a computer with a radio and an internet connection). In theory you can have radio devices talking to each other from opposite sides of the planet as long as they're all within a kilometer of LoRaWAN gateways.
pjforde1978 wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 2:18 am My intended use case is very short range ( <10 feet, LOS) so I'm trying to figure if there's any reason to consider LoRa that I might be missing.
Nope.. for that kind of application, everything on the "LoRa can do X and packet radio can't" list will be useless.

pjforde1978

Post by pjforde1978 »

Thank you so much! Perfect answer.

Rcayot

Post by Rcayot »

I use the rfm9x and thi k it is great. The circuitpythonlibraries work well. I use a I use a Rpi PICO witha radio module and a bunch of sensors. I use a radio bonnet from Adafruit on my Pi4B to upload my IOT data to Adafruit IO. works great.

Roger

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Wireless: WiFi and Bluetooth”