Bluetooth Joystick Mouse

For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
bsiznks

Bluetooth Joystick Mouse

Post by bsiznks »

Sorry if this is in the incorrect forum, but I have searched and so far I have not found my answer. I want to build a Bluetooth joystick mouse and just want to know what are all the components I need to buy? I have a student who struggles to raise her arms (CP) so we are thinking a joystick mouse would allow her to access her communication device and school iPad and conserve her energy by making it easier. I am thinking the Itsy Bitsy, and the joystick w/button, but not sure if that will get it, may need more items. Thank you!

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Bluetooth Joystick Mouse

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Instead of thinking in terms of 'building a solution', try thinking in terms of experimenting and collecting information. The joystick might work, but she might also see benefit from something like capacitive touch sensors or a sip-and-puff interface. Even the difference between a smaller joystick and a larger one might be notable.

Trying several things and comparing them can give you insight into solutions that don't occur to you now. A common saying is, "the first version of any project is where you learn what problem you were trying to solve."

For a microcontroller, the nRF52840 version of the ItsyBitsy would work, but you might also want to consider the Feather version:

https://www.adafruit.com/product/4062

It's designed to run from a LiPo, and has a built-in charger, which is handy for portable devices.

The analog joysticks don't require any additional hardware, just connections to VCC, GND, and an analog input pin.

bsiznks

Post by bsiznks »

Thanks for the information! And just so you know, as the Assistive Technology lead for our district, I do a ton of problem-solving- what are the barriers and how can we help the student, looking from all angles and thinking way outside of any box. This particular student has many tools, we are just adding to her toolbox :-)

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Ah.. sounds like you have much more domain knowledge than the average school-adaptive-tech project (which are pleasantly common).

If there are sensors, boards, or technologies that would help you test, develop, or deploy solutions, let us know. Adaptive tech is an area of interest for us, and our products team will take a strong look at any ideas likely to generalize well.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Wireless: WiFi and Bluetooth”