WipperSnapper Raspberry Pi Pico W Failure

adafruit.io wippersnapper BETA support, discussions, and more!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
If you're posting code, please make sure your code does not include your Adafruit IO Active Key or WiFi network credentials.
allenandrewstewart

WipperSnapper Raspberry Pi Pico W Failure

Post by allenandrewstewart »

I am running the current beta version of WipperSnapper (wippersnapper.rpi_pico_w.1.0.0-beta.61) on various Raspberry Pi Pico W boards. After downloading and installing WipperSnapper, I entered my Adafruit IO credentials in the Secrets file and restarted the Pico's. When the Pico's restart, they go into a continuous loop where the Pico connects to the PC, flashes a series of LED flash codes, and then disconnects (ie., <connect><LED flashes><disconnect>). With the help of a slow-mo video, what I see is: <connect> 3-6-3-3-3 <disconnect>.

The Pico's never connect to my WiFi network. I've checked my Secrets file many times and have even nuked the Pico's to make sure they are clean. Any idea what is going on?

mikeysklar

Re: WipperSnapper Raspberry Pi Pico W Failure

Post by mikeysklar »

Do you have the output from the serial console?

Isn't the settings.toml file used now with the current release as opposed to a secrets.py?

https://learn.adafruit.com/pico-w-wifi- ... -toml-file

brubell
Learn User Page

Post by brubell »

mikeysklar wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 3:08 pm Do you have the output from the serial console?

Isn't the settings.toml file used now with the current release as opposed to a secrets.py?

https://learn.adafruit.com/pico-w-wifi- ... -toml-file
We don't use settings.toml in WipperSnapper, that is for CircuitPython

brubell
Learn User Page

Post by brubell »

allenandrewstewart wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 6:16 pm I am running the current beta version of WipperSnapper (wippersnapper.rpi_pico_w.1.0.0-beta.61) on various Raspberry Pi Pico W boards. After downloading and installing WipperSnapper, I entered my Adafruit IO credentials in the Secrets file and restarted the Pico's. When the Pico's restart, they go into a continuous loop where the Pico connects to the PC, flashes a series of LED flash codes, and then disconnects (ie., <connect><LED flashes><disconnect>). With the help of a slow-mo video, what I see is: <connect> 3-6-3-3-3 <disconnect>.

The Pico's never connect to my WiFi network. I've checked my Secrets file many times and have even nuked the Pico's to make sure they are clean. Any idea what is going on?
This looks like a bug with the latest version of WipperSnapper.

Could you please fill out the template on this page to submit a bug report: https://github.com/adafruit/Adafruit_Wi ... .md&title=

I am currently working through documentation updates, but am hitting bugs next. Filing a bug there will push it to the top of my priority list.

allenandrewstewart

Re: WipperSnapper Raspberry Pi Pico W Failure *** SOLVED ***

Post by allenandrewstewart »

Hi. Thanks for your quick reply. I've solved my problem partially based on the serial console output.

Attempting to connect to Adafruit IO...
Unable to connect to Adafruit IO MQTT, retrying in 3 seconds...
Unable to connect to Adafruit IO MQTT, retrying in 3 seconds...

I rechecked the secrets.json file against my io.adafruit.com account information and found that adafruit appeared to put my Account Name in all lowercase when I had been sure I'd entered it in CamelCase. I fixed the credentials in the secrets.json file and VOILA!

Note that for the RasPi Pico W, Wippersnapper definitely uses a secrets.json file and not a settings.toml file.

Re my User Name, I checked the io.adafruit.com account creation page and it does not mention it changes the case, so I created a new account and the case was maintained. So, I apologize for having a brain Fart. My whole problem was my stupidity.

Thanks everyone.

brubell
Learn User Page

Post by brubell »

[quotes]I rechecked the secrets.json file against my io.adafruit.com account information and found that adafruit appeared to put my Account Name in all lowercase when I had been sure I'd entered it in CamelCase. I fixed the credentials in the secrets.json file and VOILA!
[/quotes]

Fantastic! Thank you for following up. If you have any further problems, please let us know in a new thread.

brubell
Learn User Page

Post by brubell »

Hi - we have just released WipperSnapper beta 74. This includes PR #514 which addresses issues with the Pico W infinite reboot loop issue caused by WiFi failing to connect.

Please give this a try and let me know if you are still experiencing issues.

Forum rules
If you're posting code, please make sure your code does not include your Adafruit IO Active Key or WiFi network credentials.

Return to “Adafruit IO Wippersnapper Beta”