Missing WIPPER drive

adafruit.io wippersnapper BETA support, discussions, and more!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
If you're posting code, please make sure your code does not include your Adafruit IO Active Key or WiFi network credentials.
MrBlakeman

Missing WIPPER drive

Post by MrBlakeman »

After copying the wippersnapper.rip_pico_w.1.0.0-beta.61.uf2 file to my adafruit feather RP2040 the device reboots and no "WIPPER" drive appears. I've used the flash_nuke.uf2 to return it back to factory. I've tested using the adafruit-circuitpython-adafruit_feather_rp2040-en_US-8.0.3.uf2 and it seems to load just fine and appears a CIRCUITPY drive.

Any suggestions?

Thank you!

mikeysklar

Re: Missing WIPPER drive

Post by mikeysklar »

When copying the wippersnapper UF2 image over was it to the RPI-RP2 drive? You will need to be in manual bootloader mode when copying.

There is also a factory reset at the bottom of this page which might be worth a try.

https://learn.adafruit.com/quick-start- ... persnapper

MrBlakeman

Post by MrBlakeman »

Hi Mike,
Thank you for the reply.

Yes, the drive was labeled RPI-RP2 when I copied the UF2 file to it. It then reboots, as it should, and nothing shows up after that.

The factory reset info at the bottom of the page takes you to the Raspberrypi site to get and flash_nuke.uf2 file. I've done that a couple of times and still no joy.

Thanks again!

mikeysklar

Post by mikeysklar »

Okay, last thing to try here. After doing the UF2 image for WipperSnapper on your Pico let the board reboot and if nothing comes up do a hard power cycle by removing the USB plug briefly and plugging it back in.

https://learn.adafruit.com/quick-start- ... aq-3120273

MrBlakeman

Post by MrBlakeman »

Hi Mike,
Thank you again for the reply!

I gave that a try and it still doesn't show up.

I think I figured out what's going on. Since I'm using an adafruit Feather RP2040 and not a Pico W board and since the adafruit Feather RP2040 doesn't have wireless it's likely not compatible with WipperSnapper which is probably causing the issue. I meant to order an adafruit Feather ESP8266 but mistakenly selected the Feather RP2040.

Thanks again for the help but at this point, I'm going to order the ESP8266. Since I can't return the RP2040 I'll experiment a bit with it.

I'm new to all this so sorry to waste your time troubleshooting a non-issue due to my lack in knowledge.

Thank you!

mikeysklar

Post by mikeysklar »

Thank you for the follow up on the different version of a RP2040 board. That makes sense.

You might want to consider a more modern ESP32 based board instead of the ESP8266 if you have not purchased it yet. They have a lot more memory and compute power.

brubell
Learn User Page

Post by brubell »

I think I figured out what's going on. Since I'm using an adafruit Feather RP2040 and not a Pico W board and since the adafruit Feather RP2040 doesn't have wireless it's likely not compatible with WipperSnapper which is probably causing the issue.
This is correct, we only support the Pico W (WiFi) at this time. You may want to purchase a Feather ESP32 v2 as it has more flash memory.

MrBlakeman

Post by MrBlakeman »

Thank you both for your reply. I appreciate the suggestion of the Feather ESP32 v2, however, my project is extremely simple so I'll try the ESP8266 first. If it doesn't work I'll order the ESP32 v2 and have yet another board to play around with. :-)

Thanks again!

Forum rules
If you're posting code, please make sure your code does not include your Adafruit IO Active Key or WiFi network credentials.

Return to “Adafruit IO Wippersnapper Beta”