CPX light up individual LEDs

Play with it! Please tell us which board you're using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
gschwiersch

CPX light up individual LEDs

Post by gschwiersch »

Hi,

I'm working on this Starry Night project: https://learn.adafruit.com/animated-sta ... nd-express

My students will use individual LED's (the ones with a long and short leg) instead of the LED strand. Using the instructions in the guide, the LEDs light up the whole time the power is on.

Does anyone know if there is a way to set it up so the individual LEDs light up using the touchpads? (The students know how to program touchpads to light up the individual neopixels on the CPX.)

Thanks,
Gail

dastels

Re: CPX light up individual LEDs

Post by dastels »

How are your LEDs wired?

To control the individual LEDs you could use the "signal I/O" section of the Crickit if you have <= 8 LEDs. If you want more than * you probably want to use an I2C I/O expander. https://www.adafruit.com/product/4886 will give you control of 16 LEDs.You can connect up to 4 of them for control of up to 64 LEDs. The I/O expander is generally a better idea as it has LED drivers so you won't have to worry about overloading the signal i/o of the Crickit.

Dave

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

How are you connecting the CPX and the LEDs? And, what code are you running? It will help troubleshoot your problem.

gschwiersch

Post by gschwiersch »

Thanks! I got it working. I made 2 really silly mistakes.
1. I had the LED connected to the CPX when the instruction specified connecting it to the CRICKIT drive.
2. I only had code to run the motor and not the suggested lights code.

I fixed both mistakes and it's all working perfectly now.

Thanks again for your helpful suggestions/questions.
Gail

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Circuit Playground Classic, Circuit Playground Express, Circuit Playground Bluefruit”