RPLidar A1: lidar not transmitting data

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
tweger

RPLidar A1: lidar not transmitting data

Post by tweger »

Hello,
I recently bought a RPLIDAR A1 lidar sensor, I have downloaded the sample code, the motor works only when power is connected directly to the motor terminals but the arduino is not receiving any data from the lidar. I am not sure if it is a board issue or a sensor issue, I am leaning toward board issue since the motor does not work through the provided cables and connectors.
Thanks!

adafruit_support_carter

Re: RPLidar A1: lidar not transmitting data

Post by adafruit_support_carter »

The RPLIDAR is generally meant for usage via USB.

What Arduino board are you using and how are you connecting the RPLIDAR to it?

JP6490

Post by JP6490 »

Hello,

I have also bought this RPLIDAR A1 for my project however I am running into the same problem and the data only transmits sometimes. Have you figured out why yours was not working?

machinist1

Post by machinist1 »

Hello all,

I'm experiencing the same issue as well. I purchased 2 RPLidar A1 on Amazon this week and both were defective so I considered trying to purchase one on AdaFruit hoping that I got better luck with a different distributor but the same results occurred. On my end, the motor is spinning but I'm not able to read in any data via USB (confirmed by running 'lsusb' on Raspberry PI which returns no indication that it's connected).

After looking at other forums with those who have working models, they confirm that this green led within the UART -> USB adapter should turn on (as shown in the image below). All 3 of the RPLidar A1 that I've purchased do not show any green led indication so I believe the fault is with the UART/USB adapter. Can AdaFruit support team advise??
Attachments
Screen Shot 2023-04-14 at 3.03.13 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-04-14 at 3.03.13 PM.png (910.06 KiB) Viewed 278 times

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

can you post a photo showing the top of your USB-UART adapter with the chip marking visible? that will help us with the discrepancy process so we can make sure if we get replacements they aren't the same issue!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”