A programmer is required to upload when trying to upload

USB AVR Programmer and SPI interface. Adafruit's USBtinyISP.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
techjedi

A programmer is required to upload when trying to upload

Post by techjedi »

Hello, I am having an issue with the Sparkfun TinyAVR Programmer from digikey.

This has an embedded MCU with USBTinyISP on it and a socket for an ATTtiny 45/85 chip. I am trying to upload a sketch to an ATTiny85 IC mounted to the socket.

I have the USBtiny driver installed using the Adafruit latest 2.5.0.0 driver installer. In Device Manager I see "USBtiny" under "libusb-win32 devices", libusb-win32 driver version 1.2.6.0. This is Windows 11.

In Arduino IDE, I am using the attiny boards from David A. Mellis. I have selected the ATTiny25/45/85board, the ATTiny85 processor, clock internal 8mhz, programmer as USBTinyISP

When I choose to burn bootloader, I get a success. If I remove the IC from the socket, the burn bootloader fails, and reinsert and it succeeds, so it seems to be seeing the programmer and the IC.

I compile the blink sketch and upload and it immediately shows "A programmer is required to upload", but I have selected the USBtinyISP programmer as per all the instructions I have found.

I have searched for almost every tutorial to use USBTinyISP devices with arduino IDE, but I am stuck on this error.

Any thoughts?

Some screenshots here:
https://imgur.com/a/ABOBTfM

bidrohini

Re: A programmer is required to upload when trying to upload

Post by bidrohini »

Here somebody faced the same problem: https://forum.arduino.cc/t/issues-uploa ... /1050751/4
You can follow the thread for some suggestions.

techjedi

Post by techjedi »

Hello all, I found the solution in this thread:

https://forum.arduino.cc/t/uploading-to ... /1065582/3

The quick answer summarized in this quote from that thread:
When uploading to the boards that don't have a bootloader, such as the "ATtiny85/45/25" board you have selected, the "attiny" boards platform uses a feature of the Arduino platform system that causes clicking the "upload" button to trigger an "Upload Using Programmer" operation instead of the normal "Upload" operation.

Unfortunately, support for that feature has not yet been added to Arduino IDE.

The workaround is to simply select Sketch > Upload Using Programmer from the Arduino IDE menus when uploading to your ATTiny85 instead of clicking the "Upload" button as you would usually do.

I can confirm that, instead of using the "Upload" button in the main toolbar, if I simply use the menu item: "Sketch > Upload Using Programmer", it will upload without any other changes.

RacingtoMars

Post by RacingtoMars »

Thank-you SO much for this solution!!

("Sketch > Upload Using Programmer", )

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “USBtinyISP”