Feather Huzzah ESP8266 not connecting to Adafruit IO

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
If you're posting code, please make sure your code does not include your Adafruit IO Active Key or WiFi network credentials.
siquepuede

Feather Huzzah ESP8266 not connecting to Adafruit IO

Post by siquepuede »

Hello Bill,

I had purchased a Feather Huzzah ESP 8266 and a couple of weeks ago I was able to successfully connect it using WhipperSnapper to Adafruit IO to operate a servo remotely. Unfortunately shortly after that it did not show up under my devices. I've tried numerous times to re-install the firmware and go through the good instructions provided by Adafruit, but to no avail. It sounds like someone else was having this issue and I think Brent Rubell was looking into it, but I haven't heard any news in a while. Is there any chance I could exchange this board for a Metro ESP32 which seems to have comparable characteristics in order to be able to connect again via WhipperSnapper? I have been able to connect very well with the ESP32-S2 which I purchased from Adafruit recently along with some CO2 sensors. I liked the Huzzah because the headers were already soldered, and see that the Metro does not require soldering headers.
Thanks for your help with this matter.

Andrew

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Feather Huzzah ESP8266 not connecting to Adafruit IO

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

As a sanity check, verify your USB cable by using it to connect some other, known-working device to a computer.

There's a plague of charge-only cables out there with USB connectors at both ends, but no wires for the data signals. People get caught by them every day.

Just swapping cables has no diagnostic value. The current record is someone who had to try ten cables before finding one that worked. Only a working USB connection can rule out a charge-only cable.
siquepuede wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 10:28 pm Is there any chance I could exchange this board for a Metro ESP32
No.. we replace boards with hardware defects, and can give someone the option of a refund, but swapping one device for another is a can of worms we don't want to open.

siquepuede

Post by siquepuede »

Hello Mike,

Thank you for your reply. Sorry for not acknowledging until now. Brent has advised me of a bug fix on recently so I will try uploading my board again when I get home from work. BTW if the cable works to upload code, is that an indication that it is not a "charge-only" cable? Just wanted to make sure.

thanks,

Andrew

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

If you can upload code, you don't have a charge-only cable.

I'll leave the rest of the issue to Brent.

Forum rules
If you're posting code, please make sure your code does not include your Adafruit IO Active Key or WiFi network credentials.

Return to “Internet of Things: Adafruit IO and Wippersnapper”