Grand Central on-board ADC resolution?

Please tell us which board you are using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
melinajefferson12

Grand Central on-board ADC resolution?

Post by melinajefferson12 »

Hi, maybe I'm missing something obvious but what's the on-board ADC resolution for the Grand Central's 15 analog pins? It's not explicitly stated but some code in the learning page (https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-gra ... -analog-in) uses 2^16 as a divider but then other pages that say the SAMD51 only have 12-bit resolution (https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/sa ... and-output). The onboard DAC is explicitly stated to be 10-bit so I thought it was kind of odd that the ADC wasn't also explicit. Thanks in advance!

melinajefferson12

Re: Grand Central on-board ADC resolution?

For some more context to the above: I am hoping to use this board to read in several 4-20 mA sensors which I'll convert to likely 0.6-3 V with a high-accuracy 150 ohm resistor. I have accuracy specs on my sensor and I would like to confirm that the resolution I can achieve from the ADC on the board will be greater than or equal to the resolution I can get from the sensor directly. From my calculations, I need at least 12-bit resolution from the ADC to ensure this, without having to go to external ADC boards (which I'm trying to avoid just to keep the system as simple as possible)

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

It has 12-bit analog inputs and 10 bit analog outputs. But CircuitPython 'normalizes' everything to 16 bit resolution for portability between processors.

melinajefferson12

Ah ok that makes more sense with the documentation I was seeing. So just to confirm, using circuit python, pin.value would return integers from 0 to 65536 in steps of 16 then?

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

That is correct.

melinajefferson12

Great thanks so much!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Metro, Metro Express, and Grand Central Boards”