adafruitio_12_group_sub: get() not yielding retained values

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
If you're posting code, please make sure your code does not include your Adafruit IO Active Key or WiFi network credentials.
jpasqua

adafruitio_12_group_sub: get() not yielding retained values

Post by jpasqua »

In example 12 it subscribes to updates for to a couple of feeds in a group. It then performs the following:

Code: Select all

// force IO to update our MQTT subscription with the current values of all feeds
  group->get();
When I run this on a Wemos D1 Mini (ESP8266) with the most recent version of the AdafruitIO library I do not get callbacks for the retained values. I do get callbacks for any updates I make after that.

Does this example work for others? I see other places that seem to confirm that a call to group->get() should result in data callbacks for each contained feed.

jpasqua

Re: adafruitio_12_group_sub: get() not yielding retained values

Post by jpasqua »

Sorry to reply to my own post, but I don't see a way to edit it to provide more information.

The curl command below works fine to manually get the last value on a feed within a group. In this example the group is "office-weather-station" and the feed within the group is "temp".

curl -H "X-AIO-Key: KEY" https://io.adafruit.com/api/v2/USER/feeds/office-weather-station.temp/data/previous
As a last resort I can manually loop through the feeds in the group and use the HTTP api directly to get the data, but using group->get() and existing callbacks would be much simpler/cleaner.

jpasqua

Re: adafruitio_12_group_sub: get() not yielding retained values

Post by jpasqua »

I'm documenting my findings for others who may run across this.

When you do a group.get(), the feed names returned are fully qualified; e.g. my-group.my-feed
When a "normal" update on a feed occurs, even a feed in a group, the feed name is unqualified; e.g. my-feed

If you do an onMessage() such as:

group->onMessage("my-feed", cb);
The callback will be invoked for normal feed updates, but not as the result of a group->get() since the feed name returned (my-group.my-feed) does not match the feed name you supplied (my-feed).

This can be avoided by using the variant of onMessage that doesn't take a feed name, OR by performing two calls to onMessage; one with the unqualified feed name and one with the qualified feed name.

Doing this allows me to see the results of a group->get() call, but I'm still not seeing all the values in the group. I think that is a separate issue.

Forum rules
If you're posting code, please make sure your code does not include your Adafruit IO Active Key or WiFi network credentials.

Return to “Internet of Things: Adafruit IO and Wippersnapper”