Powering Teensy from 6V

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Iaminvisible

Powering Teensy from 6V

Post by Iaminvisible »

I want to control 6 micro metal gearmotors (pololu product #1101) with a teensy 4.1 while having in externally powered. I was wondering if I could solder my 4xAA battery holder to the teensy and then wire the vin pin to a solderable breadboard where I would distribute power to the motors and drivers. I am just making sure I won't fry anything. I am using pololu micro metal gearmotors (item #1101) and 3 tb6612fng for the drivers.

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Powering Teensy from 6V

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

The teensy is rated for 5v on the VIN pin. https://www.pjrc.com/store/teensy41.html#specs

You could use a 5v buck regulator between your battery pack and the Teensy:
https://www.adafruit.com/product/4739

Iaminvisible

Post by Iaminvisible »

Could I use a teensy 3.6?

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Power specs for the 3.6 are pretty much the same as for the 4.1
https://www.pjrc.com/store/teensy36.html
Power
USB Power
Normally Teensy is powered by your PC or USB hub, through a USB cable. The USB power arrives at the VUSB pin, which is connected VIN and powers the entire board.
VIN Pin
When USB power is not used, 5V power may be applied to the VIN pin. Because VIN & VUSB are connected, power should not be applied to VIN while a USB cable is used, to prevent the possibility of power flowing back into your computer. Alternately, a pair of pads on the bottom side may be cut apart, to separate VUSB from VIN, allowing power to be safely applied while USB is in use.

3.3V Power
Teensy 3.6 has a voltage regulator which reduces the 5V VUSB / VIN power to 3.3V for use by the main processor and most other parts. Additional circuitry may be powered from the 3.3V pin. The recommended maximum for external 3.3V usage is 250mA. When power is not applied to VUSB or VIN, it is possible to run by externally applying 3.3V power.
USB Host Hot Plugging
Power to USB devices connected on the USB host port is provided through a current limited switch and a large capacitor. The current limit lessens the disruption to Teensy's power when a USB device is hot plugged and needs a sudden inrush current to charge up all its capacitors.
AGND & GND Pins
Teensy 3.6 has 6 GND pins and 1 AGND pin. The GND pins are the normal system ground. Digital signals and most applications should use GND. The AGND pin is meant only for the grounds from sensitive analog signals.
Power Consumption
(info here)
Low Power Features
(info here - Snooze library)
VBAT
A 3 volt coin cell may be connected to VBAT & GND to allow the RTC to keep track of date / time while power is off. A CR2032 type battery is recommended, though other 3V coin cells may also be used.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”