LCD Product Info

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
_phillip

LCD Product Info

Post by _phillip »

First of all, I am an avid supporter of all things Adafruit and that will not change, but my recent order arrived today and no cable was included. Because of this I have to vent off some steam.

Here is a grab of the product in question:
adafruit-lcd-display-ad.png
adafruit-lcd-display-ad.png (92.43 KiB) Viewed 54 times
https://www.adafruit.com/product/3787

When I placed my order I was not certain what I was actually getting. Further, I read 'Connector' to mean 'cable'. I will accept that I misread that, but I only purchased part of what I needed.

In the past most Adafruit products offer accessories that are required to make said product functional. This LCD product page failed to do that. Yes, there were links below that could lead the buyer to these items, but the buying options were missing from the product page. In my Adafruit buying experience this is not the norm.

This particular display required a breakout board and a ribbon cable to make it operable. So now, I will have to place another order to purchase those items that should have been purchased in the first place.

Bottom line: It would be great if all of the required components could be in plain sight so they could be ordered at the same time. I am aware that the ribbon cable is out-of-stock so will have to wait for that as well.

Thanks for hearing me out.

dastels

Re: LCD Product Info

Post by dastels »

I understand your frustration, and the information could be called out more. It is there, with a link to the cable.
This display breakout also features a 18-pin "EYESPI" standard FPC connector with flip-top connector. You can use a 18-pin 0.5mm pitch FPC cable to connect to all the GPIO pins, for when you want to skip the soldering.
With a link to https://www.adafruit.com/product/5239 And from there you have a link to https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-eye ... kout-board that alsi lists different length cables. But, yeah, it could be more obvious.

FWIW I mentioned this to the support folks.

Dave

_phillip

Re: LCD Product Info

Post by _phillip »

Thanks, Dave!

When it comes to Adafruit, I really hate to send negativity their way, because IMO, they are the Gold Standard in the maker world. But, as I noted, I really was not certain what I was ordering and, that's not the Adafruit norm.

The webpage images showed the ribbon and the breakout board, but there was no 'Accessory' choice to choose from.

Anyway, I will wait until the ribbon cable is back in stock, then place my order.

Thanks again.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”