EAGLE import DXF, how to create the associated schematics

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
HansH

EAGLE import DXF, how to create the associated schematics

Post by HansH »

Hi

I have a question regarding importing a part, of what only a DXF file exists into Eagle.
I use the Pololu 23201a Serial adapter and want to create an Eagle file to let the industry make me a PCB for mounting the serial adapter together with an ItsyBitsy. Of this serial adapter, I only found the DXF-file for that little board showing geometry and location of the hole for boring.
I can import the DXF-file into the board-window of Eagle. But that isn't connected to some circuit plan for the schematics Eagle-editor.

Is there an easy way, to get the schematics?

I could use some 12-pin-header for one side, and position it visually on the DXF geometry ???
And three 1-pin headers for the DX9 out ports, which are different at distances, not equal to 1/10 inch (but 2,78mm instead) between the ports and in some special distance to the 12-ports on the other side.

And in case I use the DXF-file, how can I manage positioning of it, as it consists of many separate lines? Can all the lines be grouped? Or is putting it to some blocked layer a way?? ... Sorry for these basic beginner's questions.

Is there some easy and reasonable workflow to complete this task?

Best regards
Hans

Franklin97355

Re: EAGLE import DXF, how to create the associated schematics

Post by Franklin97355 »

Have you tried to ask in the Eagle forums? It might be a more informed crowd.

HansH

Post by HansH »

@franklin97355

I hoped to get an efficient answer here, not perferct but well useable.

In the Eagle forum, I guess, I get an educted answer expecting much knowledge and much effort on my side, but creating the perfect solution.
So it might be the suggestion, to start creating a new library from the DXF file, what would force me to learn quiet a lot, before I can just start to get a result, weeks later ... ??

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

OK, I'll ask the gurus. I don't use Eagle, but I should learn how.

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

HansH wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 2:02 pm Is there an easy way, to get the schematics?
There isn't even a difficult way.

DXF is a graphics format roughly equivalent to Gerbers. All the component and schematic data is lost when you generate them. The only thing left is a pattern of lines organized as concave/convex shapes.

Reconstructing a schematic from the information in a DXF file requires more effort than reconstructing the schematic from photos of the PCB.. at least the photo will show you the components and any part numbers or value markings they have. A DFX gives you nothing more than a line drawing of the copper.

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

Sparkfun has a page that might do what you asked but I have no idea if it is what you want. https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/im ... troduction

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”