Adafruit / Arduino Duplicate Libraries

Post here about your Arduino projects, get help - for Adafruit customers!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
_phillip

Adafruit / Arduino Duplicate Libraries

Post by _phillip »

I have noticed that both vendors have similar named libraries for the BME280 sensor.

I have always used the <Adafruit_BME280.h> library without error. I have not had to give this much thought in the past, but why have two libraries that seemingly perform the same functions for this module?

Out of curiosity I tried to install the Arduino <Bme280.h> library but was not able to do so via IDE 1.8.19. I have never gotten comfortable using IDE 2, so perhaps there would be some difference with regard to this particular library.

Just an observation. Thanks!

mikeysklar

Re: Adafruit / Arduino Duplicate Libraries

Post by mikeysklar »

It is typical for Adafruit to maintain a fork of a library for a custom sensor. The Adafruit breakout can have extra features or different addresses. Was there something about the Arduino library, a specific feature that you were looking for that is not in the Adafruit fork?

_phillip

Re: Adafruit / Arduino Duplicate Libraries

Post by _phillip »

@mikeyskylar

Sorry for my late response.

Thank you for your feedback on my 'duplicate' libraries concern.

I became aware of this duplicity when I got a strange compiler error about 'duplicate wire.h libraries but only was used' or something to that affect. I have forgotten how I solved that issue, but because of this I learned that there were indeed similarly name libraries in both the Adafruit and Arduino library folders.

Lastly, thank you for asking, but no, there is nothing specific that I am needing from the Adafruit BME280 library. I use this hygrometer sensor a lot and the Adafruit library contains all the functionality I need for this module.

Thank you!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino”