Neokey 1x4 not working

Breakout boards, sensors, other Adafruit kits, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
cmcfadden

Neokey 1x4 not working

Post by cmcfadden »

Howdy - just got a Feather RP2040 plus a Neokey 1x4. I'm not having any luck seeing life out of the Neokey. It's connected with a STEMMA QT cable. The power light on the Neokey never comes on. Scanning I2C doesn't find any devices. I verified that I'm seeing ~3.3v at the stemma connector on the Neokey, so it's definitely getting power.

Anything else I can check? I notice someone else (viewtopic.php?p=961168&hilit=neokey#p961168) had seemingly the same issue just a couple weeks ago, so I wonder if there was potentially a bad batch?

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Neokey 1x4 not working

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Post a photo showing your hardware and connections and we'll take a look. 800x600 images usually work best.

cmcfadden

Post by cmcfadden »

I took a closer look and noticed an IC that looks to have been placed wrong. Pretty sure it's supposed to be on the highlighted pad?
IMG_8870.jpeg
IMG_8870.jpeg (164.95 KiB) Viewed 164 times

cmcfadden

Post by cmcfadden »

(For what it's worth, here's the hardware connection ... not especially interesting)
IMG_8872.jpeg
IMG_8872.jpeg (224.03 KiB) Viewed 161 times

adafruit_support_mike

Oh yeah.. that's a misplaced component. Looks like it got jolted completely off the footprint.

Send a note containing a link to this page and your order number to [email protected]. The folks there will get you a replacement.

If you're comfortable soldering, it shouldn't be too hard to get the part loose and put it where it needs to be. SMT23-5 parts are easier to work with than it seems from their appearance.

cmcfadden

Post by cmcfadden »

Thanks - I resoldered it and the unit now powers up, but isn’t seen over i2c. Maybe the manufacturing hiccup prevented the microcontroller firmware from getting flashed or something … I’ll ping support.

adafruit_support_mike

That's possible.

The firmware lives here in our Github repo:

https://github.com/adafruit/Adafruit_Se ... NeoKey_1x4

cmcfadden

Post by cmcfadden »

@adafruit_support_mike - I got the replacement, and it's totally missing that component as well (see photo). I actually ordered a second one (I need two for this project) as well - that one does power up, but isn't seen over I2C.

It seems like maybe you got a bad batch of these. I’d really like to get these replaced with working items - are you able to test and verify any of them? I don’t want to waste your time continuing to do replacements if they’re all bad. If nothing else, can you help me do another RMA (or two actually - the other order is 3033949-0381658337)? I replied to support but they said I needed to post again here.
Attachments
IMG_8950 copy.jpg
IMG_8950 copy.jpg (280.15 KiB) Viewed 84 times

adafruit_support_mike

Hmm.. let me double-check to make sure we aren't leaving that footprint vacant or something.

UPDATE: the part should be there, so that's a second defective board. Send another note to [email protected].. we'll keep doing this as long as necessary.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Products from Adafruit”