It's Dead, Jim.

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
adhancock79

It's Dead, Jim.

Post by adhancock79 »

After receiving my Magtag in the mail, I immediately plugged it in to fiddle with it. Unfortunately, I am unable to get my magtag to turn on. The green power light comes on and there is a small circuitpython icon on the top-left corner of the screen. There are zero other signs of life. I have tried multiple cables and usb ports (and wall warts).
20221227_195903.jpg
20221227_195903.jpg (1013.04 KiB) Viewed 107 times
20221227_195921.jpg
20221227_195921.jpg (715.35 KiB) Viewed 107 times

I had posted before, but I got very ill and haven't been able to get back to the issue until now.

Screenshot_20230314_213314_Chrome.png
Screenshot_20230314_213314_Chrome.png (317.2 KiB) Viewed 107 times
No COM port, no signs of life at all less the "on" led. I've tried multiple known-good USB cables and windows, Linux, & Mac computers. I work with microcontrollers on an almost daily basis. This things dead.

There are no obviously bad components on the board. The power rails are within spec.

adhancock79

Re: It's Dead, Jim.

Post by adhancock79 »

I realize that I'm now beyond the 30-days window, but I did try to get it replaced within that window.

Here is my original post.

viewtopic.php?t=197313

adafruit_support_carter

Post by adafruit_support_carter »

The last post in that thread was a request to try ROM bootloader mode. There was no reply to that request. That is still the suggested next step for trouble shooting the MagTag. So just repeating same request here again:

Try getting into ROM bootloader mode:
https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-mag ... bootloader

As a first step, just see if you can get a COM port to show up.

adhancock79

Post by adhancock79 »

Negative on the com port. The computer(s) doesn't recognize that anything is plugged-in.

adafruit_support_carter

Have you verified the USB cable is good by using it with something else and verifying that it can move data?

adhancock79

Post by adhancock79 »

Yes
No COM port, no signs of life at all less the "on" led. I've tried multiple known-good USB cables and windows, Linux, & Mac computers. I work with microcontrollers on an almost daily basis. This things dead.

There are no obviously bad components on the board.

adafruit_support_carter

Weird. For the ROM bootloader to not show up would indicate some kind of connection issue. The board is not dead, just not being seen on the USB port.

Do you have access to a second PC as a quick way to double check? Just see if a COM port can show up in ROM bootloader mode again (hold BOOT0 button while pressing RESET).

adhancock79

Post by adhancock79 »

I do. I've tried multiple cables and computers. I know the cables and computers are good because I can plug in any number of other esp8266/32 devices and they show up immediately. Same with my pi pico and other projects.

adafruit_support_carter

OK, not sure what's up, but let's just replace it. Thanks for trying all the troubleshooting. With the ROM bootloader on these, they are pretty unbrickable boards. So worth the extra effort to be sure it's not something simple.

Send an email to [email protected] with a link to this thread and your order number and they can send you a replacement Magtag.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”