Huzzah32 3,15V output problem

Please tell us which board you are using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
MC_engineering

Huzzah32 3,15V output problem

Post by MC_engineering »

Hello
I have a feather huzzah32 powered with a 3,7V Li-ion battery (1800mAh), my project consist in a datalogger for monitoring some sensors like current, voltage, temp,ecc.

I found that the huzzah32 voltage regulator doesn't work properly, when the battery voltage drops to 3,9/3,8V the 3,3V output from the board (used for powerying all the stuff connected ) it's more like 3,20/3,15V, obviusly this couse some problems with the sensors that require a precise 3,3v for a correct readings...

The current consumption (with all the sensor active) during the logging is arround 180/190mA (measured with a lab power supply connected on the battery connector of the huzzah32).
If I try to measure the 3,3V from the board (disconnected from everyting) with a multimiter and without any load connected the voltage regulator seams to work well with the battery at 3,7V, I can measure a 3,29/3,30V on the huzzah, but as soon as i try to put any small load to the 3,3V pin (I tryed with some leds, 60mA in total) the voltage drop to 3,15/3,12V. The problem disappear if the battery voltage is in the range from 4,2 to 3,95V, even with huge load (200mA) the board output is 3,3V.

Am i doing someting wrong or it's my board defective??

Thank you.

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Huzzah32 3,15V output problem

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Post a photo showing your hardware and connections and we'll take a look. 800x600 images usually work best.

Also, could you post a link to the specific board you're using? We have more than one that uses 'HUZZAH32' in its name.

Most of our boards use low-dropout voltage regulators, so they should be able to maintain regulation with more than 250mV of headroom. But there's a chance you could be using a board whose regulator isn't rated for 200mA from the 3.3V pin.

MC_engineering

Post by MC_engineering »

I bought the board on Amazon, now it's no longer available but the adafruit code is ADA3405
My test circuit is very simple, just the board with a led used as a load,
Attachments
test with 55mA load (the board drain 155mA itself with the WiFi on)
test with 55mA load (the board drain 155mA itself with the WiFi on)
3.85V_load.jpg (61 KiB) Viewed 38 times
this is the back of the board
this is the back of the board
huzzah32_post.jpg (78.61 KiB) Viewed 38 times
this is the front of the board
this is the front of the board
huzzah32_front.jpg (85.37 KiB) Viewed 38 times

MC_engineering

Post by MC_engineering »

I added the other photo, i measure the 3.3V with my multimeter directly from the board and powering the huzzah32 with a power supply from the battery connector.
Attachments
only the board connected, battery input 3,85V the 3.3V output drops quickly to 3.11V
only the board connected, battery input 3,85V the 3.3V output drops quickly to 3.11V
3.85V_no_load.jpg (73.59 KiB) Viewed 38 times
test with 4,2V form my power supply, the regulator works great, 3.29V
test with 4,2V form my power supply, the regulator works great, 3.29V
4.2V_load.jpg (73.3 KiB) Viewed 38 times

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

MC_engineering wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 1:37 pm I bought the board on Amazon, now it's no longer available
Ah..

We don't sell on Amazon at all, but some of our legitimate resellers do. Unfortunately there are also people who use our name without permission, no matter how fast we send takedown notices.

Because of that, we don't replace devices bought from Amazon.

Contact the seller through Amazon and let them know we've authorized a replacement. If they're one of our resellers, they'll know how to handle the process, and will ask for a link to this page.

If you don't get a reply, or they try to send you back to us, contact Amazon customer service and let them know you're dealing with a counterfeiter.

MC_engineering

Post by MC_engineering »

I bought 2 new board, same type ADA3405 and the problem is still there, when the battery input drops below 4.00V the 3,3V output start to decrease...
I found reasonably to use the battery untill it drops to 3.9V (with a 3,20 output) but this means that the battery life is less than half.... The boards (all three boards) can't works with 3,7V which is the discharge voltage for most of Li-ion battery cell.

ps. I managed to get a refound from amazon for the "damaged board" even if I strongly belive that the board was fine.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Feather - Adafruit's lightweight platform”