Simple Neopixel Controller

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Allthingmustpass

Simple Neopixel Controller

Post by Allthingmustpass »

I am guessing such a thing does not exist as I have not had luck searching or it. I am a novice obviously.

But I am hoping to get a simple controller for a small neopixel strip, probably covering no more than 6 feet to light a model.

I would like it controlled by music playing from a SD card or another recommended source. In this case it would only be one long song, but it could be multiple songs on the card (source). The lights would randomly change color, intensity and brightness with the music. I know that is possible as I have seen it in action. The Neopixels almost seemed programed to the music, but I know they are not, but just responding to the rhythm, volume, etc.

Just not sure if the is an off the shelf controller product out there.

Does such a thing exist?

Thanks.

blnkjns

Re: Simple Neopixel Controller

Post by blnkjns »

basically any microcontroller with an analog input pin and a digital output pin can do this.
Just load some Neopixel VU-Meter code on it. It has to do some fast fourier analasys to the audio signal.
If it runs on 5V it is easiest. Think Uno/Leonardo/ItsyBitsy 32U or even a AtTiny85.

Allthingmustpass

Thanks for your answer. As I have stated, I am a novice and was hoping for a ready made solution. I don't think that exists.

I did quite a bit a research and even the adafruit tutorial says "Controlling NeoPixels “from scratch” is quite a challenge", from https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-neo ... stallation.

And I have spent hours searching now and really don't have any sense of how to do this.

I was hoping there was a product that may have done these steps, downloaded the software needed and was ready to use for a price.

As I thought, that does not appear to be the case.

michaelmeissner

Post by michaelmeissner »

Given your comments, I suspect you just want to buy something, and not do the programming, etc. to set it up. There should various tutorials in the Adafruit Learning system to setup systems you want if you wanted to go with the custom route.

There are off the shelf controllers, but it can take some keyword bingo to find the right unit. For example in ebay, I searched for 'WS2812B SOUND' and got (limiting the search to sellers shipping from the USA):
In terms of names, WS2812B is the name of the chip for the original lights, SK6812 is the name for a newer lights that is compatible with the older WS2812B lights. Neopixel is Adafruits name for these lights. Originally, Adafruit used WS2812B for their neopixel LEDs and now they use SK6812 chips. If you search for 'SK6812 SOUND' you will get a lot more hits.

These units do not play the sound, but instead sync themselves to external sounds that are played. I believe the first one includes the LED string (either 1 meter, 2 meters, or 5 separate 1 meter strips), but the 2nd and 3rd do not. You could buy Adafruit neopixel strings as the lights. Note, if you buy the LEDs separately, there is a possibility you will need to splice/solder the wires as there are several different plugs and wiring conventions used (I think Adafruit has 3 or 4 different plug/wire conventions in the various neopixels they sell).

Allthingmustpass

Thank you for the reply and suggestions. I will delve into it tonight a little.

I don't mind fiddling and customizing, but I just can't seem to find anything that narrows down or targets the code I want. Code that would allow a controller to synch the LED's to the intensity, speed, volume, rhythm of a music file.

Since this is all new to me, it may be right in front me and I can't find it. And it may be reasonably simple and I don't realize it when seeing it.

I have gone through some of the adafruit "Überguides" and they are very well written and clear. Until I get to the coding part and then I seem to hit a wall.

Will keep trying, and again thanks for both responses.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”