Underwater Octopus VJ Interface

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
OctopusVJ

Underwater Octopus VJ Interface

Post by OctopusVJ »

Hello, I am trying to make a device that allows an octupus to change sound or video with it's legs.
The octupus is in a local aquarium and it is bored.
The veterinarian said the enrichment is welcome but must be safe.
The salt water makes only titantium a good metal. Hard rubber and cure resins or plastics are good.
Octopi are smart and also strong...
they have been known to break a gopro or two.
So, I was thinking of an emulation of an analog synth, like a dial or two or some salty underwater unbreakable buttons or something. A friend said I might want to keep the electronics out of the tank and suggested a light sensor or color sensor or magnet sensor through the tank to a submerged analog dial or octopus toy. Like coloring the back of a rubber dog toy that rotates... and then sensing the colors with an Adafruit QT Py with a BH1750 Light Sensor - STEMMA QT / Qwiic or an AS7262 6-Channel Visible Light / Color Sensor Breakout or even a APDS9960 Proximity, Light, RGB, and Gesture Sensor .
My first question is what cords to I need to connect the QT Py to the sensor and the QT Py to my Mac USB-c Input (or do I need a midi interface)? A lot of connectors are not available so maybe let me know what I can buy to connect the sensor to the fruit to the VJ software?
The second question is more fun. What would you suggest as an interface to teach an octopus to VJ using ADAfruit? Im new to this but I have advisors but I thought to ask you too as I would like to place an order!
AdaM Z [email protected]

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Underwater Octopus VJ Interface

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

The Qt Py will connect to a computer through a USB cable.

When you connect a USB device to a computer, there's a device discovery phase where the computer asks what the device is and what it can do. A microcontroller can tell the computer it's a modem (a Serial connection), a keyboard, a gamepad, a MIDI controller, a Flash drive, or any number of other things.

We have versions of the Qt Py that use several different microcontrollers, but each product page will link to a tutorial that contains information like making the board register as a MIDI controller.

As for connecting sensors, it depends on the specific device you use. Most sensors communicate with a microcontroller using the I2C or SPI protocols, and the pins for those are broken out to the edge of a Qt Py's PCB. The tutorial for the sensors you choose will explain the protocol you need, and the tutorial for the specific Qt Py you use will tell you where the pins are.

In terms of enrichment systems, the general rule is to build them around natural behavior. The vet or handlers will be good resources for information about things the octopus will do on its own, and how those actions can be tweaked to provide the input you need for MIDI.

Keeping foreign materials out of an aquarium is generally a good idea, so optical sensing sounds like a good idea. Putting targets the octopus can see outside the tank and detecting objects placed near those targets sounds like a good starting point. It will also give you the option to move the targets to new locations periodically so the octopus can explore to find them.

Most of all, enrichment systems are research projects. You won't know what kinds of interaction the octopus likes best when you start, so try things, learn, and adapt. That process will keep both sides engaged.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”