Question about using a Scorpio board with WS2813 LED strips

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
psyclops

Question about using a Scorpio board with WS2813 LED strips

Post by psyclops »

Bit of a noob to Neopixels and LED strips, more of a robotics guy but I am trying to get the LEDs on my robot Marauder's legs working so it can look like this again.

I am hoping to hook up the six attached strips of WS2813 (4 pin) LED strips using a Scorpio board. The WS2813, while 4 pin, is not a Dotstar-like strip with data and timing, the 4th line is a backup data line to prevent strip failure if an LED burns. The Scorpio is designed for Neopixels (3 pin) but from the wiring diagram in the WS2813 manual (below) it appears that only one data line needs to be connected so would connecting the single data line on the Scorpio work?

Also, it looks to me like the wiring diagram is incorrect as it shows the data line from the controller being connected to a) the backup data line (BO) and b) the data output line (not input). As I understand it, the data line should be connected to the DI line. Am I correct here?

More info on Marauder can be found at http://www.gotrobots.com/marauder/

Thanks in advance...
Attachments
marauder_on_stage_640.jpg
marauder_on_stage_640.jpg (76.07 KiB) Viewed 49 times
WS2813_Wiring_Diagram.png
WS2813_Wiring_Diagram.png (524.14 KiB) Viewed 49 times

psyclops

Re: Question about using a Scorpio board with WS2813 LED strips

Post by psyclops »

On further examination I now see that the data line is in fact connected to the BI pad but that the labels on the left of the strip are hidden by insulation. However, should this not be connected to the DI line?

adafruit_support_carter

Re: Question about using a Scorpio board with WS2813 LED strips

Post by adafruit_support_carter »

Using BI is probably correct. BI and DI are compared, and if they do not agree, BI is used. So if only DI was connected, they would not agree, BI would be used, and there would be no data coming in. By connecting to only BI, they still do not agree, BI is used again, but this time there is data.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”